new ibook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Mar 25, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if apple evntually goes to a g4 based ibook, do you think apple should keep a g3 ibook for under $1,000 dollars and have a low cost laptop?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

the $700 Apple portable!

:p yes I do....I also feel if they bring the iBook up to G4 speed....they will have to either lower the price of the TiBook....or better have something up their sleeves for it....

lots of pissed off people already with the iMac being right under the PowerMac...but then again....does Apple really learn that much from their mistakes?

however...I feel it's going to a while before we see G4's in the iBook...it'll jump the cost too much....and Apple already has problems with availability...isn't that why it's been taking so long for them to move forward with it anyway?

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I think it would be a potential mistake for Apple to begin selling G3 iBooks as a super low cost alternative to a G4 based iBook. For a short time Apple should sell the G3, but once the G4's are pretty set as the consumer level and the G5's are the pro level, then the G3's should be relegated to ebay and history.

Heck, Amiga could use the G3's in its new computers.

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

by the time apple inc comes out with a sub $700 portable, the pc world will have a really inexpensive laptop, and one that will most likely be pretty good, but not as good as anything apple;)

5. Quark macrumors regular

They might have that in mind

I think that it would be a good idea only if they included a flat-panel.... uh... whooops!... Wrong Thread....

Just kidding:D

Apple already has that in mind. They will keep the G3 iBooks with the smaller screens for schools. Just like the G3 iMacs.

They will distinguish between the G3 and the G4 iBooks with the screen size - and maybe color.

They need to keep the low-cost G3s around for schools to purchase and use. They are perfectly good for that - and the audio/video departments of a school, will be able to buy the low-cost iBook G4s with the larger screen.

Quark

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: They might have that in mind

i probably see that happening and due to schools and their often limited budgets, that is not a bad idea

i have one fear though...at least in california, where we are falling further and further behind other states in public education, i would like to see our students get the best/newest stuff that is available

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: They might have that in mind

I wouldn't worry too much about California's public education falling to much further behind....Louisiana is settled somewhere down in the bottom...which is why I went to private schools...

8. GeorgeC97 macrumors newbie

should i buy?

so what's the deal then -

Does anyone know what the deal is with that new 'sahara G3' chip - does anyone know if apple will use it -

is the ibook worth the wait? (MWNY - i can't wait later than that, I really need one come June, but I can wait until july)

I know money is a big thing....but if money weren't too much the issue -- is there anyone who would still buy an ibook over a Ti?

i'd really like your opinions on this one

thanks !

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

10. PB180 macrumors newbie

iBook vs. TiBook

GeorgeC97 and others -

I've got the same debate going on for me... iBook or TiBook... but I'm actually leaning towards the 12" combo 600 iBook, and here's why:

(1) Smaller size - the TiBook seems a bit awkward
    (2) Quieter - I don't like noise coming from my computer
    (3) Less heat - one of the big complaints on these boards
    (4) It seems sturdier and better able to handle the rigors of frequent travel
    (5) I've heard the AirPort reception is far better

Of course, the TiBook has a lot of great things going for it - like a G4, PC Card slot, big screen, and the option to use a second monitor (not just as mirror). But I'm not going to do any rendering on my new laptop, and it seems that if I load up the iBook with RAM, it'll be fast enough for basic Photoshop and other tasks. Plus, it's certainly less money!

I'm still weighing my decisions, and I won't buy anything for at least a few weeks. If cool new laptops are coming within the next couple months, I may try to wait it out, but I can't imagine what else they would add to the iBook to make it worth using my old computer for those extra months.

11. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Re: iPad

The iPad would be perfect.
    Have a 10" screen on it, and have it be a tablet thingy. Instead of hauling lots of heavy books around, they could just be on one of those Toshiba thin drives that are in the iPod, except it is in the iPad. And it would all be connected with AirPort, so the teacher could spy on kids work:( And they could just be connected to the teachers computer, and when the teacher wanted homework, he/she could suck it off the iPad and not even grade it(computer does it for them) The iPad could change a lot for schools.

12. GeorgeC97 macrumors newbie

How long last????

Thanks for the advice about the ibook -

for that matter .... how long do you expect your ibook / Tibook to last you?

Let's say, if you buy one now.... when do you plan to buy another one? 3 years? 5 years?

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: iPad

Maybe...that is why Apple made Remote Desktop! Hehehe, I wish I had an iPad!

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

sounds like a good idea. although there would have to be heaps faster TiBooks and PowerMacs before a G4 iBook. but as soon as there is a G4 iBook, it would be really good to have a cheap G3 iBook!

PB180, if you can i would wait a couple of months before getting a iBook or TiBook. the iBook should be able to handle Photoshop if you have a decent amount of RAM. but the new TiBooks might be released around April/May, if not by then, definitely at NY. and when the new TiBooks are released the price of the 667MHz should drop. you can have a TiBook and save money!

i'm getting a TiBook soon. maybe a cheaper 667 when the new ones are released, but i'll see how much the 766MHz TiBooks will cost.....
    anyway i'd expect my TiBook to last about 3 to 3 1/2 years.

15. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

a g4 iBook is a ways off. i mean a WAYS. they will not come out with a g4 iBook less than 600 MHZ, and being that the lowend Ti is currently at 550, we are a loooong ways off. I don't see a g4 iBook without a g5 PB or a 1GHZ+ or Dualie Ti. It just wouldnt make sense. As much as MHz may not matter, I repeat they will not bring out a g4 at lower clock speeds than current G3s.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: how long

well so far I've had my TiBook for a year....actually a few weeks over a year...I haven't had to send it in yet for anything and have not had one day with problems....

(I'm knocking hard on a block of wood over here as I'm typing this!!!:p )

I predict it'll work fine for several years...I know I'll have it for at least the next 1-2 years anyway....and I baby the hell out of it...

just take care of your stuff and u shouldn't have to worry... ;)

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

re: how long

for a laptop, two years is good if you do music and graphics

if it is word processing and internet and other really light stuff, you will be happy with nearly three years

any longer than that, you might start lusting for new stuff so badly that you can't stand it

i do know one guy who has this 250 mhz g3 laptop (rev a) from late 1998? and he is extremely happy with his machine and i am not sure if it even has a 56k modem, maybe it's a 33.6k

some users start lusting for new stuff just six months after a new computer is released and many posters here have bought machines more frequently than once a year:p