New iBooks and Hard Drive Space Remaining

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, Aug 3, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hey,

I have the computer in my signature on the way, and I'm starting to get pretty concerned that I should have gotten the 80GB or 100GB HD. I have figured out that they ship with 14GB already on them (thanks Lilstewart92). This will leave me with only 43GB Remaining. Add 10GB consisting of programs, music, files, pictures, movies. and I'll only have a mere 33GB to work with. I do a lot of iMovie and usually need about 15GB to work with. Of course as time goes by, it will only get fuller.

My quicksilver had a 60GB HD. When I installed Tiger (of course it didn't have iLife) I had around 52GB available. What besides iLife is taking up all this room on the computers?! I know there's an iWork trial....but WHAT ELSE is taking up that 14GB. I always installed all the languages and printer drives, so that's not why mine was less.

Does anyone know more about this so that I can stop worrying, it's driving me CRAZY. :eek:

Thanks.

2. zeeko macrumors member

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

*Yikes* :eek:

4. zeeko macrumors member

if it is THAT bad i'm just going to reinstall the OS, btw what does resetting the pram or whatever the term is called mean?

5. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

If you work with video files and you do editting, you should have gotten the 100GB just to be on the safe side.

I am getting the 60GB on my 14" but that should be sufficient since the most files I will have is around 6 gigs of Music.

6. zeeko macrumors member

but i decided to use the money from buying the 60 GB towards a huge 7200 external drive, that way i have something to backup to, and store all my crap, and if something happens to my laptop (spill?) i will have most of my stuff on the external drive, however the other idea is that somewhere down the line (a year?) i will upgrade my drive to a 5400 and get an external enclosure for my old drive

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Don't underestimate iLife... isn't Garageband huge?

8. zeeko macrumors member

9. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

That's not good to hear. I have my 12" iBook on the way, I only ordered the stock configuration (which is 40 GB).

I heard that the printer drivers in Tiger take a whopping 1.5 GB of disk space, is that true?

10. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes, along with the languages.

I have a 120GB Maxtor USB 2.0 External HD (the metal OneTouch one) and another homemade 250GB HD (usb 2.0 as well). They're all USB because I was using them on our DELL to store DVD's on (legal, I assure you) and it didn't have firewire. Stupid choice though, I could have just gotten a cheap firewire PCI card or something. Oh well.

But I like the internal drive. Yeah I know I should have gotten bigger to do iMovie, but the largest iMovie project I did (around 2 hours) was only 12.5GB, so I'm not THAT worried about that. I just burn them then move the iM and iDVD files to the external HD.

I like having at least 20GB free though. I'm sure I'll be fine. Yes, I forgot about GB being so huge. I have Garageband on my quicksilver, but I deleted all the loops and things to make it much smaller.

I'm sure I'll be fine. It's not a matter of running out, 60GB will be PLENTY. I just like having a lot "spare" for some reason. =\

11. zach macrumors 65816

zach

HD space is always good... luckily, though, it's rather easy to buy a new one, and install it yourself, one of the more easily serviceable parts, and not too expensive either.

you could even get a spiffy 7200 RPM drive :)

12. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

It's actually a better idea to get a huge, fast external HDD. Just put the stuff you wanna take with you on the internal drive.

13. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Thanks. :) I think I'm going to cancel my iBook order anyway and wait a while or order it from someplace else. (See my is something wrong thread). I will probably get it with the 60GB again though. Definitely not the 40GB.

14. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Just a question: Does manually changing the internal HD of the iBook void the warrantee? I was thinking of changing the iBook’s internal drive to a faster 5,200 RPM with a larger capacity.

15. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Yes and it's also quite painful a process.

16. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I went with the 80GB. It seemed to me to be the best price to GB ratio. Going to 100GB was quite a bit more and I don't think worth it. I seriously thought about doing a 5400RPM. It sounds to me like you should definitely get an 80GB.

17. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, that or 60GB. I have all the external drives though so I am starting to think I should be ok with the 60GB.

18. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Oh well, then I guess I'll wait untill next year to do it. I don't care how hard the process is, it can't be harder than installing a water cooling system for an Athlon XP :cool: That was pretty cool...

19. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

If you're fine with externals that's ok, but personally I'd rather have everything on the drive if possible.

20. paperinacup macrumors 6502

I got a iBook 12' with 40 Gb HD and it arrived and had 21 GB left. HD is gonna have to go. My music by itself would fill two of these hard drives.

21. dav macrumors 6502

Use WhatSize to determine what is wrong with your life

or what is taking up your hard drive space

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I use Omni Disk Sweeper every so often to see what's taking up so much space. It's almost always my iPhoto library.

On my G5 it takes up 17gigs!! :eek:

23. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I just got my new 12" ib with 80 gigs today. It only came with 60.1 gigs left for storage. I'm really glad I went with the 80 rahter than 60.

24. icarusflies macrumors member

You could always reinstall the system and do a custom install and save yourself a stack of space with all the language support - that is if you can live without brazillian portuguese! Also only install the print drivers you need - it doesn't sound a lot but OSX carries all the print drivers for EACH county.
    I'm using my ibook as a second machine so storage isn't so much of a problem. If it is your only machine you may want to consider a firewire external HD - especially if you are doing video

25. d.f macrumors regular

you could try Network Storage...

i know there are a few on the market (Lacie has a good one).... not going to solve everyones needs, but means you can still be 'mobile' at home....