New iBooks?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by arn, Mar 17, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I doubt we will see them, not without the Powerbook upgrades at the same or before the date of upgrade.

I think the 12" may be dropped but I hope not because it is so portable.

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Wow, There are people on that board who have got over 1000 posts, that cool! They mush just sit there posting!

oh, that makes this post look like one to bank up numbers.

Heres the information:

People are saying that the 12" iBook has been marked end of line and new iBooks will be in within 2 weeks, this would make sense to have a Portable show at Tokyo cause as far as I can muster Japan likes Portable machines! Therefore I expect a new iPod as well.

Ensign

4. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

If Apple drops the 12" iBooks (which I think it would be stupid of them to do, but anyway), do you think that they will discount the remaining 12" models to get rid of them?

I decided to hold off on my iBook purchase just to see if this happens!

5. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'd only wait until Wednesday if so... first off, this entire rumor seems very unlikely...

if on the very limited chance it's true... it would happen on Wednesday (MWTokyo)

arn

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

no it doesnt seem likely. an update to the ibooks 3 months after the last and while the ibooks are already nipping at the dated Pbook's heels. someone didnt think things through when they came up with this one. the only way this could happen is if they update BOTH the ibook and the Powerbook.

7. dualburn001 macrumors regular

yea some people just have to get a life

8. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

They had friends, and lives once, but that was long, long ago.

Now they have avatars, handles, nifty sigs, star ratings, and CTS!

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

MWTokyo

You know, Tokyo is also in a few days. And if Apple DOES upgrade the iBook, they must upgrade the PowerBook as well.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

upgrades

But what of all the talk of no new hardware.

upgraded iBook = new hardware.

mutex

11. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Seems odd what those guys are saying on that site.

Why are stores marking the iBook as "End of Life"? Is this true? has anyone else noticed this? If so, why would this be?

Why are they speculating that Apple will get rid of the 12" model? Does anyone know how the 14" is selling against the 12"? Everyone I know who has an iBook has the 12" and chose it specifically because of its size...

My feeling is if they are going stopthe 12" it would have to be because a) they can't find any way to dissipate the heat from a G4 processor in such a tiny space, b) they don't want the 12" to be confused with or overlap with some new sub- or sub-sub notebook-type product (I won't name it...) they have in the works...

Still can't believe they would pull the rug from under one of their most popular products. Hope instead they get rid of (large) plastic margins around the 12" screen and fit it with a 13" (for the sake of the eyes of those who complain about the current 12" screen) but otherwise keep the form the same as the 12". Oh, and drop the 14" from the line.

Otherwise, I say bring back a revamped Pismo if Apple is going to axe the 12" -- in serveral ways it was a better design than the 14" iBook (says proud owner of Pismo...).

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well here's my bank for this thread. :D

Yeah, the status of "Clinically Insane" would be about accurate for some of those guys... I gave up at MacNN at around 250, and lately I've found these forums are a bit more interesting. And I like the smaller population here too.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

hah, a post on that forum reminded me of something Apple told us a few months ago. No new hardware. Remember that?? What have we gotten??

10GB iPod
    800MHz Powerbooks with 1MB DDR Cache
    23" Hi-Def Display
    eMac

word.

i love Apple.

15. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

If I were to guess, I'd say that the 14" iBook would take the form factor of the old Pismo, while the 12" iBook would stay. It seems like Apple is trying to create two different product lines with the iBook, and this seems reasonable.

16. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

this was quite a reincarnation...look at the dates on the first posts

17. Sherman macrumors regular

I really don't like the way the iceBook looks. What I want is an old iBook with a bigger friggin screen, have you seen the amount of space on the clamshell ones? It's enormous, You could easily fit a 14" screen in one of these things.

On another note the TiBook design just wasn't good to begin with. I know it's 1" thick and it has that nice ass screen and it's made out of titanium and all, it just seems so fragile. I want a G4 powerbook in a Pismo case, expansion bays and all. It's just such a great design.

18. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I just think it's so cool how Apple tends to mess with our minds. It just gives us so much to talk about and debate about. :cool:

19. onemoof macrumors member

iBook updates anytime

It seems to me that iBooks could be updated at any time. Historically, they've pretty much been updated whenever Apple felt like it and often without announcement. It seems like iBook, unlike other Apple computers, gets minor tweaks every few months rather than major revisions every 6 months like the other lines. There really haven't been any major iBook revisions since it originally came out (only gone up 200 MHz and larger screen model available).

20. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

I doubt this rumor is true, because he says "new ipods", those were just updated.

21. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

lol...did you take a look at when this thread was started ;)

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: MWTokyo

Actually, Tokyo is in Japan. :p