new ibooks???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cluthz, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I was down at my local apple store today.
    I was chatting a bit with one of the employees and he told me that apple wasn't accepting orders on ibooks anymore.

Will we have a new revisions of ibooks soon? or have apple done the same mistake as they did to the iMac?

-tb

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's possible. The buyers guide shows that it's about to hit it's normal update time. Give it until the end of the month (Apple thingie in Paris) and it very well might be there.

3. Zaty macrumors 65816

Not yet, I guess the iBook won't be updated before the release of the next PB revision which is not due to happen before October/November. Unless the PB is getting a G5 soon which unlikely, though.

4. James L macrumors 6502a

I second that. It has only been 4 months since the last update. If the iBooks were to be updated now they would basically be at the same level as the PB, which I don't think is likely (mind you, it did just happen with the eMac and the iMac). I say watch for iBook updates in late fall.

5. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Given the USA Today link in MacBytes (iBooks and PowerBooks selling big to college students this year), Apple might be shipping all the iBooks they can to their education distribution channel. It would be nice to see new Books at Paris, but I doubt it.

6. lazymuoio macrumors member

it could be a speed bump for the back to school season and be a little earlier in then the predicted october/november revison or it could be putting superdrive in them or something like that

7. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

If ibook gets updated im gonna scream, i just got (got it today :D) one of the refurb 1.2's off apple.com

In fact im writing this on it right now

8. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

U can already add superdrives into the ibook, its a BTO option for 200 bux.

i really dont know why apple advertsises ibook as a student laptop, i definitly see many many many more people with powerbooks than ibooks for school purposes.

9. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I had heard a rumor long ago that the iBook for it's next revision was going to be ultra thin. It would weigh a little less than it does now, and we the width of just the base when closed.

I am probably wrong though.

Mike

10. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

That would be cool if an update did come, I'll talk to some people at the apple store. :cool: That would be cool if an update did come, I'll talk to some people at the apple store. :cool: That would be cool if an update did come, I'll talk to some people at the apple store. :cool: (in response to your three question marks)

11. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

r u sure they did not think you said imac? even though ibook and imac dont sound the same you might have said imac by accident.

12. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes, i asked if he meant imac, but he said ibook.
    He was a little worried because they had no ibook and no imacs to sell...
    only powerbooks, powermacs and emacs.

-tb

13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Should have said something to the effect that you would take the Powerbooks off their hands for the price of an iBook.

Mike

14. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

you actually have emacs in stck? wow. No store around here has had those in stock for a while...they are quite popular!

15. vga4life macrumors 6502

Current ibooks have a Radeon 9200 chipset that will not be supported by CoreImage in Tiger. I wouldn't be surprised to see a graphic chipset bump (to a GeforceFX 5200, probably) in the ibooks soon - possibly with a small speedbump as well.

Pure speculation on my part, of course.

-vga4life

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Kinda strange that the Apple Store on the web still seems to allow orders for new iBooks, though, isn't it?

17. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

i just now called up apple and actually asked them, they even said they are still accepting orders on ibooks. I am thinking the guy was misinformaed and thought the ibook is not accepting orders.

18. dav macrumors 6502

I'd say wait til Paris, if they don't update.. Get one!

19. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

20. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

At the end of August, and Paris is a city in france :p :D.

Seriously, though, there is an Apple show at the end of August in Paris France. If no iBooks are announced at that time, then he's saying you should buy one.

21. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i'd doubt apple would update the ibooks until cram and jam runs out and all edu orders are filled, if they updated them now they'd have to give back some money to many edu customers and also might have problems filling orders fast enough
    october/november seems more reasonable

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or, *Leslie Neilsen voice* Paris is a city in France, but that's not important right now. :)

Seriously, though, if they announced an incremental upgrade I don't think it would force them to give any money back to cram n' jam customers. If they annoucned a major upgrade, it probably won't be available right away anyway. But you'd think that they're going to settle down for what will be offered for Christmas fairly soon, like definitely by mid-October.

23. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

"But surely you can't be serious!"

"I am...and don't call me Shirley."

I love that movie.

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i reccon that the ibooks will be bumped in speed to 1.2GHz 12" and low end 14" with 1.33GHz in high end 14" with a superdrive standard.

it's a great shame the 9200 is not a core image card, it's a fair bit better than the 5200 so if they do change it i'll be greatly dissapointed, but it is the only option as they are not going to put a core image gpu thats better than the 5200 in it, unless they updated the powerbooks which i thought they said they would not as the next revision would be g5.

25. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Don't believe what MacOsRumors are writing ! Its just reading for fun. All storys are made up.
    ;)