Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I was wondering if anyone had any idea when the new range of iBooks were going to be released. I know they're currently "reaching the end of a cycle" so I don't want to get one just yet, but I don't know how long I'll have to wait.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
gorbok said:
I was wondering if anyone had any idea when the new range of iBooks were going to be released. I know they're currently "reaching the end of a cycle" so I don't want to get one just yet, but I don't know how long I'll have to wait.

Well, the iBooks will get updated when the powerbooks get updated. Since the PBs aren't set for an update for a few months(and that's being generous), I'd say it'll be a while for the iBooks.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Capt Underpants said:
Well, the iBooks will get updated when the powerbooks get updated. Since the PBs aren't set for an update for a few months(and that's being generous), I'd say it'll be a while for the iBooks.
I agree.

Apple won't allow the iBooks to get too close to the PowerBooks as far as specs because there goes the incentive to get a PowerBook over the iBook.

So I would be very suprised if Apple updates the iBook line any time soon. Which is why I just bought one. ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
lazymuoio said:
dont expect an update till mid november and it will only be a speed bump and probably a video card upgrade

That would make sense for the Christmas buying season. If they are tied to the PowerBook, then it is more likely at MWSF '05. What kind of update do you expect?

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
wdlove said:
What kind of update do you expect?

Well, if they're updated at MWSF, what I HOPE to see would be G5 Powerbooks (or the dual-core G4s, whatever works out), and then equally cool (actually, literally cooler, since the G5s would be so hot) would be to see either 1.5 Ghz G4s or the aforementioned dual-core G4s (if the PBs get G5s) across the iBook line. The iBooks would be redesigned to be super-thin, 5 hour battery life laptops made out of the coloured aluminum that's currently used in the iPod minis. This was rumoured for a while, and I think it would look awesome for a laptop, and the colours would attract the University/College market well, at the same time as going with the "From the Makers of the iPod" thing Apple seems to be pushing.

lazymuoio

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
New York
chameeeleon said:
Well, if they're updated at MWSF, what I HOPE to see would be G5 Powerbooks (or the dual-core G4s, whatever works out), and then equally cool (actually, literally cooler, since the G5s would be so hot) would be to see either 1.5 Ghz G4s or the aforementioned dual-core G4s (if the PBs get G5s) across the iBook line. The iBooks would be redesigned to be super-thin, 5 hour battery life laptops made out of the coloured aluminum that's currently used in the iPod minis. This was rumoured for a while, and I think it would look awesome for a laptop, and the colours would attract the University/College market well, at the same time as going with the "From the Makers of the iPod" thing Apple seems to be pushing.

yea there were posts about colorsi think we will see dual core ibooks and single g5 powerbooks but with clocking that would make the speed gap greater judging by the imac design i highly doubt i book colors will be coming soon since they have followed the imac color scheme i agree a super thin modle will e released but it may be a powerbook because that attracts buisness travellers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.