Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Does anyone think or know if there will be new iBooks like this month, cause I got like $1300 and I need a laptop for school and I ned a G4 system so I was going to go for like a Ti500 but what I hear they scratch easily and I need it to last for a few years, the iBook can take more but it packs only a G3 and I need it to be like a G4 so it will last me for a few years, so you guys think new iBooks this month with G4s? Gosh I hope I want a iBook G4 14'.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: New iBooks?

Originally posted by TiMacLover
Does anyone think or know if there will be new iBooks like this month, cause I got like $1300 and I need a laptop for school and I ned a G4 system so I was going to go for like a Ti500 but what I hear they scratch easily and I need it to last for a few years, the iBook can take more but it packs only a G3 and I need it to be like a G4 so it will last me for a few years, so you guys think new iBooks this month with G4s? Gosh I hope I want a iBook G4 14'.
Wow, a 14-foot iBook!!! :D

Seriously, I don't see a G4 iBook before MWSF at the earliest. When the SuperDrive TiBook comes out, then I'd say 3 months later, the G4 iBook will appear.

BTW, the iBook scratches pretty easily as well.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Don't expect a G4 iBook anytime soon--it doesn't fit into the price point or the heat dissipation needs currently. I'm not sure I would expect a faster iBook until IBM gets their act together as they have supposedly not shipped any G3s faster than 700 MHz, even though the line goes to 1GHz.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Apple does offer 3 months same as cash offer. So you can get a Titanium 667 for $2000, and only have to pay $667 a month for it. And there does exist paint if you are worried it will scratch too much. The best protection against scratches is a leather jacket.

hs-l

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Re: New iBooks?

Originally posted by TiMacLover
I was going to go for like a Ti500 but what I hear they scratch easily and I need it to last for a few years, the iBook can take more

well, yeah the TiBook scratches easy, but the iBook scratches way easier, I've got my ibook 500 for a year now and it's been repared once because there were quite a lot cracks and scratches in the shell.

If it's no problem to get a TiBook get at least a 667 because that one has a 133Mhz system bus and is way faster than the 550Mhz or the 700Mhz iBook.

good luck

Harold

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
Unless you are doing some serious alti-vec work

the next 2 genrerations of sahara Will scale up to 1ghz (maybe higher) boast up to 200 mhz bus (hopefully) and apple will do away with that stupid 128mb ram chip smoldered into the motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.