new iCloud email

Discussion in 'Apple Music, iCloud and Apple Services' started by CompUsed, Jun 4, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I had a MobileMe trial account that has expired. I am waiting for the new iCloud. Should I (can I) secure a email name (NOW) before the rush for iCloud?

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Obviously no.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I can understand if you say no. But what is obvious about it? Are you saying that it isn't possible to have a MobileMe name carried over to iCloud

4. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're asking a question that nobody knows an absolute answer to.

At this point your guess is as good as anyone else's.

5. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Hard to say... but if you want to ensure you lock down compused@me.com or compused@icloud.com or whatever it ends up being, it might not be a bad idea for you to do that now.

6. macrumors 68000

musio

In light of yesterday's news, is there any more news on this issue? I'm going to subscribe to this thread.

Will apple drop @me.com like they did to the @mac addresses?
    Will there be a new @icloud address?

I hope it's not first come first serve. IF there is a new @icloud email, i'd like my current names & alias's transferred..

7. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are keeping @me.com

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/contacts-calendar-mail.html

8. macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I imagine that at the moment the transition moves all your data to iCloud and lets you keep (and log-in) via your MobileMe email address & password.

Personally I would have liked Apple to let current MobileMe customers either keep their own @me.com email address or pick any other (that isn't held by a current customer) but can't see that happening. The transition gives you no chance to choose a different email address.

9. macrumors regular

Don't feel too bad; Thunderbunny is very nearly as awesome as PurpleMarmalade. Nearly.

10. macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

nearly??? :eek: :)