New icon in the taskbar? All of the sudden I´ve got a "Close SuperDrive" icon?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jevel, Dec 28, 2003.

1. jevel macrumors regular

What is this, and even more important; why do I have it? :confused:

-KJ (new to Mac...)

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The task bar is the thing at the top of the screen, you don't need the eject option up there you can get rid of it by:
    Hold the command key (Apple), click on the icon drag it out, release the button, release the command(Apple) key.

4. zellin macrumors regular

He means the menu bar. And that isn't a "close superdrive", it's an "eject" insert a disc and you will see its true meaning.

5. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

Menu bar or whatever it´s called. It´s the bar at the top with different icons in the right corner.

I´ve got an eject icon, that´s right, but if I leave the SuperDrive empty and click it, I get a drop down menu labelled "Close SuperDrive (F12)".

My question was; why has it suddenly appeared? I haven´t changed anything here?

-KJ

6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It's a built in .menu file. Someone may have double-clicked the file, or enabled an option somewhere.

7. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

And now for the final question; How do I get rid of it? I don´t need it, and I don´t like my menubar cluttered.

-KJ

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

As in my post above:

"You can get rid of it by:
    Hold the command key (Apple), click on the icon drag it out, release the mouse button, release the command(Apple) key."

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I believe a taskbar is what is at the lower right hand corner of Windows' start menu/application bar or whatever that would be called. And yes, just command drag the icon off of the menu bar.

10. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

Didn´t see that first post, saw this one, and it worked like charm! Thanks, W!

-KJ

11. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

And as this is solved, a new problem... I made a tarball with all my documents (.tar archive) on my old laptop, and moved it via an external drive onto this PB. As I was trying to move it now, I got the "Something is using this file, are you sure you want to move it? This may cause problems with the application using the file."

I checked and rechecked, and nothing other than Finder was running. I restarted the computer, and still the same error. I thought what the heck, and pressed "Yes" to forcemove it, and Wham! The file is no longer in the old directory, and not in the new directory. I´ve checked the recycle bin, and no go.

What happened, and where is my work?

-KJ :confused:

12. zellin macrumors regular

Wow, I can tell you are a recent switcher. From the "taskbar" to the "recycle bin".
    Was your old laptop a Mac? I haven't seen any message like that on X (maybe it was in 9, but I haven't used 9 in FOREVER!!!)
    Did you check what was visible or did you check all processes?

13. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. A recent switcher. I´m on Panther as stated above, and I have the Norwegian version, so I try to translate "on the fly". As long as you get what I´m referring to, it´s OK.

My old laptop was an IBM, also as stated above. :)

I did a ps -aux and a top to see if I could find any hanging apps, but no go.

Anyone have an idea?

-KJ