New Idea for Rankings: Most Time Spent on MR

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

This would be pretty insane, clock the number of hours that each member is on Macrumors. I bet Mr. A or Eye would have over 1000 hours on MR, think of the possibilities, another category of pride to fight over.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Are you talking about figuring hours of the past? Or having arn install software that would tract a persons time of login on Mac Forums? The answers could be quite interesting.

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

The only problem with that is that some people might just leave their web browsers open to Macrumors.

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

would be cool, but it would be tough to implement

i definitely read more than i post

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You could time them from every time they click a hyperlink, but don't count time periods over 5 or 10 minutes.

So if someone browsed for 20 minutes, clicking every minute or so, and then left MR open for an additional 20 minutes and then browsed again for 20 minutes, they would only get 40 minutes of browsing time, rather than 60.

scem0

6. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I suggest counting how many thread/posts each member reads. We could then fight for the most "litterate" MacRumors member title. :p

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I couldn't imagine the amount of time in hours I've spent around here. There's plenty of times when I'm just poking around & not really posting.

then there's all the times I've been around while drunk... :eek: ;)

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Like that iTunes registry thing. Track which users read the most posts, and which users read the most varied posts.

Of course, then you'd have people just clicking through page after page just to boost their reading stats and hogging bandwidth. :rolleyes:

9. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I think the biggest problem is it would make me realize that I spend too much time here.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

My problem is that I should normally be working on a paper or big project rather than hanging out here. So it's not really that I spent to much tim eon the forums, it's that I spend too little time on my work instead. :D

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Easy! We just monitor everyone through their iSights and track how many minutes per day their eyes are on the screen. And, to make sure everyone can be monitored, we send a free iSight to all members who don't have one already. And upgrade modem connections to DSL while we are at it. ;)

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would have to be active time...if you looked at their last active date/time and its stayed the same for over an hour, chances are they're not at the computer. But I don't think you'd be able to get a decent comparison....and then people would open a browser on another computer and just leave it on 24/7...:D

D

13. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. But it really wouldn't be worth it unless you also sent us all an Airport Base Station, in case we have laptops. As well as 23" Cinema Displays, since our eyes would have to move more across the screen, it would make it easier for the iSight camera to see our eye movements.

14. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It would have to be active time, like someone is clicking on links and what not. Hopefully that would guard against people who try to rig their clock;)

15. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    If the result reach an uncalculable draw, you could settle the tie by seeing who has lost the most relationships as a result of spending the time on the forum?

Me, I'm edging towards 1 on that count.