New ideas for iPod (not rumor, post your own)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ajmbc, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Ajmbc macrumors regular

The title is pretty self-explanatory, just post your thoughts about what changes you would like to see in the iPod. Personally, in firmware, I would like to see a custom equalizer, and more games. You should be able to make your own playlists on the iPod. In hardware, stick with the scrollwheel, and get a larger screen. Stick with the black&white unless you have a video iPod. Help me out!
    =ajmbc=

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Allow 3rd party games. Apple has better things to do than make games for your iPod. A better battery would be nice, similar to those in the AlumiBook 17".

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

a removable battery. so you don't have to trash your iPod if it's not under warranty anymore and it won't hold a charge.

Color LCD or better games...the one game on my iPod is so boring.

Bluetooth or equivalent, so you won't have to go looking for the firewire cable every single time you want to update it.

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

a custom equalizer would be really cool...i think it would be neat to have some more pda ish features...like a better calendar and a to-do list. someone had an idea of a picture viewer too which would be pretty cool i think...that would require a color screen

5. Macette macrumors 6502

i'm bored with the bluetooth idea. Bluetooth is sloooowww. even for a few songs it would be painful.

the back of the case needs to made of less scratchy material... at least you can polish the scratches off the front. you can't from the back. (anyone? has anyone found an answer to this?)

they could use that aluminium... that would be fine with me.

i'd also really REALLY like to see some recording input possible. REALLY. i go to lots of gigs and hear lots of stuff that i'd like to be able to file away, sort of like a musical diary. it would be great to have a little mic for this kind of stuff.

6. morlium macrumors regular

all i want is the option to turn off that damn battery-draining, three-menu-hiding clock.

7. webwolf macrumors newbie

Video OR Picture playback --> yes

on an internal Screnn --> NO!!!

That would be bull****.

What I would like: give it a connector to a TV/beamer and you can present your iPhoto's library on your friend's TV at their home.

Doesn't that sound sweet?

And maybe the possibility to unload your digi-cams memorystick (or equivalent) onto it.

Apple: GO!

:p

webwolf

8. jaguarx macrumors regular

Bigger batt, firewire800 (when it comes in across the line), MORE GAMES!!!!
    Allow some 3rd party stuff, release an API and let people have fun, i mean it's not like it's going to run out of space....

Oh and bloody hell, make it more durable. The ipod looks beautiful, but to keep it looking good you've either got to put it in a case that either makes it bloody fat (iskin on a 20G makes for a fat ipod) or covers it's beauty...Good design must be practical too. Maybe make it out of the same stuff as the new PBs, that stuff seems to be good.

Digital wallet capability. I want to be able to plug in my camera and download all the stuff onto it, it'd be so good!
    I often travel overseas, i have 2 128mb cards, the ability to empty the camera every nwo and then onto a 20G wallet would be invaluable.

9. iSegway macrumors member

Totally waterproof. I am talking to diving depths here. why not? Seems like the perfect device to do this. It isn't like a tape or CD player that needs to open up. Seems like the easiest of all devices to make water resistant to like 100 feet at least.

On a side note, to anyone that owns an Ipod(I don't yet). I thought I had remembered it being said that Ipods weren't good for jogging or any activity that would cause it to shake excessively because it is a hard drive based device. I also remember it being said that it was "unknown" if this would have a damagung effect on them. When I searched for information about this being a problem I couldn't find anything about it?

So what is the current verdict? Anyone heard any stories of someones Hard Drive crashing because they jogged all the time with it? Or skateboarded or whatever?

10. iSegway macrumors member

I agree. Why not make its exterior using the process that they make some brass door handles with? Those things can be made nearly indestructable. Some kind of electroplating process I believe. There has to be a beautiful yet durable solution.

11. swahilibill macrumors 6502

i just want the damn aluminum **** on the back, I sold my 5gig because I want a larger hard drive and more durable case, I hope i dont have to wait too long....lol

12. Bear macrumors G3

I'm not sure what the point of this would be, except that some driving rains can be as bad as 50ft of diving depth.

Making it more durable to the elements make sense, but I can't see anyone using an iPod while diving.

13. pauld macrumors regular

some kind of software so that the trackpad can be used as a q-ing device for mp3 djing/beatmixing.

it would revolutionise djing - no more record boxes!

it would benifit apple because you would need two ipods to do it -keeerrr-ching!

if anyone has heard of "final scratch" they will know what i'm talking about.

14. iSegway macrumors member

Not that it would be used for diving. That did sound a bit silly. I am just saying that it should be built to be totally waterproof. Not just water resistant. Most devices that are made to be "water resistant" are not capable of being totally submerged accidentally. To me, this is the beauty of the device, it's clean design. No openings except the battery comprtment... which is similar to a diving watch.

Swimman

15. S Club 1 macrumors newbie

Remote Control...

I think everyone's missed the point of Apple's succesful updates, which have always centred around increasing the *funtionality* and the *usability* of their products, as opposed to token specification upgrades, a la the Intel/Microsoft world.

What is the point of FW800 if this results in added expense and a distinct lack of FW800 owners to increase market share? Or a touch screen LCD if this increases cost and necessitates physical contact with the base unit in order to gain control?

Based on the core tenets of *functionality* and *usability* I reckon on Apple being best advised to:

1. Add Bluetooth to the iPod, thereby enabling Bluetooth syncs (at slow speed) for music 'top-ups', as well as (and this is key) freeing up control and headphone units. AirPort Extreme is an option, but cost and size as well as a fundamental redesign counts against this.

2. As stated, Bluetooth headphones would therefore allow the main unit to be stored elsewhere on your body. But where would headphone power come from? This would be served from a lightweight 'keychain' style dongle incorporating power and receiving units, as well as a minaturised iPod-style scroll wheel and (preferably color) LCD-display unit. This unit would incorporate a small rechargeable battery and could be 'docked' onto the iPod for charging. This unit described can also be used with any Bluetooth enabled Macs for iTunes use (imagine listening to your iTunes library whilst your PBook G4 is in your backpack!). In a neat touch the headphone cable could serve as Bluetooth antennae.

Of course this throws up the likely scenario of accidentally listening to somebody else's iPod on the Tube, but unique IDs are not difficult to allocate and control.

3. So where does this leave the orginal iPod? Freed of its need for display and control functions, it reverts to being a Bluetooth enabled storage device with high-speed data-transfer capability and docking capabilities. Without an LCD and a jog dial it morphs into an aluminium (I'm British) case with a pulsating Apple logo to indicate status by colour (ditto). Docking abilities would of course include iTunes functionality (music), though if the color LCD (see 2) were incorporated, iPhoto functionality could also be enabled, as well as the existent semi-PDA functionality.

16. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

a smaill text editor in it.

i dont need even the calendar in it but i'd like to make notes.

17. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I want to see a removable battery too. I don't want to spend $300 and then have it die and the battery can't be replaced.