new iMac 1.9ghz with iSight? What do u think?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by California, Jan 21, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Okay, my seventy year old mom just got a new ppc 20" iMac G5 w/out iSight.

I suddenly got jealous. Especially of her 250gig harddrive.

They are all out of that machine but they have 17" iMacs with iSight and Front Row -- but only a 160 gig hard drive.

I'm on my beloved 14" iBook but it only has a sixty gig hd.

What do you guy sthink of this ppc machine? I've never even considered a desktop because they take up too much room but now I also have a new 12" pb so going iMac might be cool.

Also, it looks like I can see a big portion of a full length page on the iMac.

Is this an okay machine?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The G5 would kick your G4's butt any day :p

The PowerPC iMacs are, in my opinion, the best Macs you can get today for your money. They're awesome machines, but probably overkill for your mom ;)

3. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I'm also considering getting an iMac by the end of the year (after they perhaps introduce 64-bit Intel iMacs), of course I need to save up my $$$ and get a decent tax return (poor college student!!! lol).

What is your exact question though?

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah of course it's an okay machine. a good machine in fact. :)

it all depends what you want it for. check out the specs and see if that's good for what you'll be using it for.

also - i'd recommend that people buy as high a spec machine as they can. ie, max it out with a decent amount of RAM (1.5GB). if you can afford the 20" i'd wait until the store can get one in, and then get the 256MB video memory as well. :cool: definitely better resale value if you max it out.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

"new iMac 1.9ghz with iSight? What do u think?"

Get 20 inch 2.1 Ghz. Its far better (better and bigger display, faster GPU, more HD space, cooler :cool: ) I would get 20 if I were to choose

6. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

In the computer lab I work in, the only iMacs we have are 17" and I think they are really cool already. But yeah, a 20" is even better I suppose.

7. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Do you guys think $1199 is a good price on a new 17" iMac 1.9?

8. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Where is that?!?!?!

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It sounds like you are getting an iMac for the hardrive increase. If so grab a external for at home use?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're paying tax on top of that, and you're not getting anything beyond the stock 17"/1.9, I would have to say NO. That's only $100 less than the Core Duo iMac 17", and the same price as the student discount for that Mac (if you're eligible). For $100 I would get a core duo. I am in the process of picking up a used iMac G5 / 17", but if I were that close to the Core Duo price I'd never have gone in this direction.