Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duckyxdale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
New England
So, I recently got the new 17" iMac flat panel which is running Panther. I have FCP1.2.5 and the Upgrade to FCP3. I cannot properly install or serialize the original version of FCP1.2.5 in order to upgrade to FCP3 because I cannot boot up in OS9.

When I run the installer, it installs the software but does not allow me to run 1.2.5 because it says that it's "not supported by classic". Because of this my upgrade to FCP3 is of no use. Apple Care gave me 3 different versions of 2 different answers. The Apple Store gave me 2 more. The overwhelming concensus is that I cannot install OS9.2 as no matter what I do, I will never be able to boot up in OS9. Fine, but my FCP discs are of no use.

I tried Customer Relations at Apple to see if they would send me a fresh install disc for FCP3, but no luck. Is there anything you can think of that will allow me to install?

I also have my old G4 with the program but it will be gone as of next week. If I have them networked, can I somehow pull the program off that and install on the iMac 17"?

I'm dying here as I soooo cannot just buy the program again.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
duckyxdale said:
So, I recently got the new 17" iMac flat panel which is running Panther. I have FCP1.2.5 and the Upgrade to FCP3. I cannot properly install or serialize the original version of FCP1.2.5 in order to upgrade to FCP3 because I cannot boot up in OS9.

When I run the installer, it installs the software but does not allow me to run 1.2.5 because it says that it's "not supported by classic". Because of this my upgrade to FCP3 is of no use. Apple Care gave me 3 different versions of 2 different answers. The Apple Store gave me 2 more. The overwhelming concensus is that I cannot install OS9.2 as no matter what I do, I will never be able to boot up in OS9. Fine, but my FCP discs are of no use.

I tried Customer Relations at Apple to see if they would send me a fresh install disc for FCP3, but no luck. Is there anything you can think of that will allow me to install?

I also have my old G4 with the program but it will be gone as of next week. If I have them networked, can I somehow pull the program off that and install on the iMac 17"?

I'm dying here as I soooo cannot just buy the program again.
I can't quite remember but are you sure you need 1.2 installed to use the upgrade disk? Try installing 3 from the upgrade disk. I think it should just ask you for you 1.2 serial number to verify that you updated from an earlier copy. Give that a shot, never hurts to try. Let me know how it turns out because I am gonna ask some people if they have any other suggestions.

duckyxdale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
New England
advres, the Mac gods are against me as that did not work either. The search continues. Thanks for the input though.

duckyxdale.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
FCP problems...

man. that sounds like a pain in the *ss...before I suggest anything, may I ask what happens when you try to use the FCP 3 upgrade...do you get an error message?...depending, you might be able to cut and paste system IDs to fool the system using resedit...let me know...

duckyxdale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
New England
blackfox, it gives me a registration error (#2 i believe). I am at work right now, so I am not sure exactly what it says word for word but it basically says that it cannot find a registered (serial numbered) version so it cannot upgrade.

Any info would be great!

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
duckyxdale said:
blackfox, it gives me a registration error (#2 i believe). I am at work right now, so I am not sure exactly what it says word for word but it basically says that it cannot find a registered (serial numbered) version so it cannot upgrade.

Any info would be great!
ok, maybe we should try this...If you have it installed on your other computer, we could try and move it to the other machine. If you are able to put your computer(the one w/it installed) in target-disk mode (holding down cmd-t or maybe just t @start up) - that would be easiest, connected by FW. then your computer would show up as a fw disk on your desktop. Then I would do a finder search for all things related to FCP, copy them and redistribute them in the appropriate places on your new machine. You may want to do the finder search on the other computer before target disk mode, to get the proper locations (take notes) before hand, as I do not know what target disk mode will do to how the finder will track things.
Another, possibly simpler method is to find your 'Final Cut Pro System ID' under library/application support on your machine w/ it installed and serialized and copy just that over to the other machine. I believe since the installer worked, that you will have the necessary folders in the same location on the iMac. Put the System ID in the library/application support/FCP system support. To transfer this info from computer to computer, you could probably just email it to yourself (if you have 2 email addresses) as an attachment...
As a third possibility, you could install FCP 3 on your non iMac machine also and follow step 1...hope some of this helps, I cannot believe Apple was not more helpful w/ this matter, if you do succeed (via these ways or otherwise),please post w/ your success...cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.