Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swagger89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Singapore
Hey guys!
Am thinking of getting the base version of the IMac 2012, just wondering if there's a difference if i run windows on Bootcamp or Parallel for playing Dota 2 (Not supported on Mac yet :( ). Cos i heard that there may be some downgrade of graphics if i run windows on bootcamp compared to parallel.

Anyone knows whether the NVIDIA 640M can run dota 2 on high settings with 8GB of RAM?

Cheers!

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Hey guys!
Am thinking of getting the base version of the IMac 2012, just wondering if there's a difference if i run windows on Bootcamp or Parallel for playing Dota 2 (Not supported on Mac yet :( ). Cos i heard that there may be some downgrade of graphics if i run windows on bootcamp compared to parallel.

Anyone knows whether the NVIDIA 640M can run dota 2 on high settings with 8GB of RAM?

Cheers!

It will run fine with Bootcamp.

There is going to be a native OSX client soon so it will only be a temporary solution.

Should run on at least high, maybe ultra, it's not the highest end card but it's still quite capable.

Swagger89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Singapore
Anyone knows whether there will be an advantage running games on Parallel? Will the 8GB of RAM be able to run it smoothly as opposed to bootcamp which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem. Dont think i wanna upgrade to 16GB through BTO knowing Apple prices...

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Bootcamp is always better than Parallels for gaming because it's dedicating all the system resources to one OS, not two.

Swagger89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Singapore
Anyone knows whether having 8GB of RAM is enough to run parallel on the new IMac?

Currently using my late 2009 Macbook pro 13inch to play dota 2 through bootcamp...graphics is kinda crappy but i still get decent FPS on low settings, alil tired of using bootcamp though..anyone using parallel to play dota 2?

Hendric

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Bayern, Germany
Gaming in native 1440p on 27"

Hey guys,

Does anyone have an idea of how Dota 2 will perform on the 27" in native 1440p Resolution with the 675Mx? I'm afraid that the 675mx will not be powerful enaugh to run it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Swagger89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Singapore
Anyone experiencing problems while playing games on Parallel? I'm thinking of getting the base 2012 new IMac but i'm afraid the 8GB of ram will not be able to support gaming on Parallel. If that's the case i'll just continue playing my games on bootcamp..

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hey guys,

Does anyone have an idea of how Dota 2 will perform on the 27" in native 1440p Resolution with the 675Mx? I'm afraid that the 675mx will not be powerful enaugh to run it.

Thanks in advance.

The game should run fine, but expect it to look like crap when stretched out in a 27” screen. Either that or run it in a window. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.