New iMac 27" and USB3: Something must be wrong here (speed)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by loicg, Feb 9, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I'm using for a couple of weeks the new imac 27 (basic one), and I bought an ICY BOX IB-120CL-U3 and 2 WD green caviar 3To for backup purposes.

I use superduper software to start the first backup copy. I am very surprise to see these figures below: effective speed below 15MB and "max speed" according to system report being 12MB... Any idea? That's annoying as I was seeking for this USB3 speed.

Here the speed in superduper, from the imac drive to the backup drive:
    [​IMG]

Here the system report:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The ICY BOX is meant to be UBS3 compatible and I used the blue cable that was in the package.)

Thanks for your help!

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

After a second try, the max speed I got was much better, nearly 60 MB/sec, not more but looks fine to me.

3. macrumors regular

the WD greens, if i remember correctly are for low power usage and not speed... but glad you worked it out...

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

True, 5400rpm, their purpose is more for backup uses, but I expected something better than USB 1.1 :)

5. macrumors 604

IIRC, SuperDuper on the 2nd try is copying a lot less data, and reports the transfer higher even though the actual speed is the same. ie it's "copying" say 1 GB, but actually only copies 100 MB. Don't depend on SuperDuper's statement of effective speed.