New iMac 27" freezing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bugbear99, Dec 15, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Mar 19, 2009
    Just arrived yesterday, freezing for 3 times.

1TB fusion
    using corsair vengeance 16G kits (8x2) CMSX16GX3M2A1600CL

it's occasionally freezing when loading / opening app
    when freezing, mouse pointer still can move
    temperate is low (fan at low speed)
    cpu is low as well

hardware test found nothing

is it because the ram?
  2. macrumors 68000

Feb 11, 2009
    Probably. Try switching to the original ram and you'll find out :)
  3. macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2008
    McKinney, TX
    Take the ram out that you added and see if it freezes. That will tell you if it is the ram.
  4. macrumors 603

Have to agree with the above posters, just a couple of days ago there was a User here having problems with Corsair 2 X 4 GB memory, exchanged it with another set, also Corsair but different type and again problems.
  5. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    where did you get this ram from?...when i run search all i get is hp notebook...
  6. macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I stay away from corsair ram when it comes to macs, great for pc but not so much for Macs in my experiance. Grab some crucial ram and see how it goes.
  7. macrumors member

Nov 30, 2012
    Just read the other RAM thread. The corsair RAM is CL 10 whereas the Apple RAM is CL 11. That's probably causing the trouble. I'm curious if someone with the Crucial CL 11 RAM is experiencing similar problems.
  8. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2009
    i got it from a local store.

i have already remove the Apple stock ram, but still freezing.
    i guess it's because the ram spec which is not so compatible to this iMac
    the corsair ram run 1.5v
    the stock ram run 1.35

i wish i was go for crucial.

is anyone using this ram and haven't any issue?
  9. macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2012
    Using 2 8GB Ram modules from Crucial alongside the 8GB Apple Ram sticks and not experiencing any issues whatsoever.
  10. macrumors member

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you. i'll sleep better tonight :)
    @OP: just See if you can sell your RAM or send it back...?
  11. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    Other people are using the Corsair without issue... Try maybe 2 sticks and see what happens..
  12. macrumors member

Apr 8, 2008
    Have been using Kingston RAM for 3 generations of iMac, works like a charm
  13. macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2012
    So you are actually using 16gb of the original ram AND 16 gb of the corsair ram for a total of 32gb?
  14. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2009
    i'm using only corsair ram for a total of 16GB.

i removed the corsair ram, and install back the apple ram.
    no freezing for 6 hours so far
    i'll try to install corsair once again to confirm the source of the problem.
  15. Yeroon, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

macrumors member

Jun 12, 2012
    Yikes, I also have 16 GB (2x8) of Corsair Vengeance DD3 modules lying around, waiting for the iMac to arrive. It's CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 to it seems to be exactly the same modules as yours...

So do Macs need special memory modules (apart from standard specs such as SODIMM, DD3, 1600 MHz) because of the voltage?
  16. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2009
    i dont know
    but i found out there is an "apple ram" (claim tested with apple product) for corsair which is v1.35 and CL11
    but mine is v1.5 CL10
    not sure if it's the cause
  17. macrumors member

Jun 12, 2012
    Yeah, I see special 'Apple' RAM from Transcend, Mushkin and Corsair (CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11) so that seems to point to a compatibility issue...
  18. macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2003
    Northern Ireland
    Had 32GB of the Corsair on order (Crucial's out of stock of the recommended modules for the 27" at the mo), but I canceled that earlier today after seeing these posts. I'll wait for Crucial to restock, I think. Better safe than sorry...
  19. macrumors 65816

Mar 4, 2009
    I ordered the same stuff yesterday. I was just reading the Amazon reviews and there are several saying it works great in various Apple products. I'll be trying 1 pair in my 17" MBP tomorrow night.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2009
    Did you sit the original Apple and CORSAIR memory modules properly?
  21. macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2010
    Mac is pikky on ram, use Hynix or Samsung chipset to be safe.
  22. macrumors member

Oct 14, 2012
    Have to say, shoddiest service ever received from an Internet retailer with Crucial.

I ordered the recommended ram, paid Paypal and went through and I got the order confirmation.

5 days later I heard nothing, so checked the account to see the order was cancelled.

No email explanation, nothing. Terrible service. I emailed them yesterday complaining but over 24 hours later no reply. The ram is now out of stock.

Terrible. I am in the UK and would like to source an alternative supplier.
  23. rw3
    macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Run Rember which is a memory tester for Mac OS will tell you if you have a bad stick. I had one in the Corsair Vengeance Kit for my Mac Mini Server...replaced it and all was well.
  24. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    Did you make sure to install the RAM in slot 1 and 3, or 2 and 4? They should be staggered for correct pairing.
  25. macrumors 68040

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm not sure if it has to do with the OWC ram in this case, but I have to RMA my imac. It crashes to grey screen on startup sometimes. Can't hold on to a firewire adapter signal and killed my mouse and is just unstable. I re-ordered a replacement and now I'm thinking I should have got Apple Ram to be safe? Obviously huge price difference though.

Is there some foolproof way to test this 3rd party ram while in the imac?