new imac and keyboard troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JonD25, Feb 21, 2006.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

I just got this yesterday, but the volume keys on the right side of the keyboard don't seem to be working. They do sometimes, but a lot of times they don't. Any idea what my problem could be? The rest of the keys seem to be working fine (obviously since I'm typing this now).

2. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention, if I unplug it and plug it back in, then it seems to work fine after that.... until it happens again. Please someone help. It's a minor nuisance, but it's a nuisance nonetheless.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I saw this a lot on other Macs when using a KVM. Is the keyboard directly connected to the iMac?

If so, call Apple. It's not only unacceptable, it could imply deeper problems (or just a dodgy KB... who knows?).

4. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup.

I suppose I'll call Apple if it persists. I just don't want to have to send the keyboard back or something. It's the only one I have, and no keyboard makes my brand new mac kinda useless for most of what I do for a period of time, which would suck. Thanks though.

The thing is, it's working now that I unplugged it and put it back in. It's just that sometimes when I go to use it, it doesn't work. It's the eject key too. The whole top row of the keys on the right. I think it might be after I leave the computer and come back? Possibly after waking it from sleep. I'm not sure since I haven't had a whole lot of time to troubleshoot the exact problem.

5. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I called Apple and the person I talked to helped me troubleshoot it. He came to the conclusion that it was the hardware and sent me off a new keyboard. I'm using it right now, and I'm still having troubles with the volume and eject keys. I haven't even sent off the old keyboard yet. Anyone else got any suggestions? It's obviously software related, unless it's the USB ports. I can't think of anything else. Unless it's a specific app that's open or running that gives me trouble. But I have no idea what that app would be. Anyone else have the same problems?

EDIT: Arg! I just closed all my apps down, still wouldn't work. I opened up my trash and emptied it, it made the trash empty sound, I tried again, and suddenly it works. This makes no sense at all.

6. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am I seriously the only one with these problems?

7. cgi101 macrumors member

I'm also having this problem on my brand new imac.

However, I have used a USB extension cord for the keyboard... I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it... but ALL keys work except for the volume controls and eject.. and they only go out on me sometimes. unplug/plugging the keyboard does the trick. hmmmmm

8. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, we're not alone. A lot of people have been having this problem. It seems it must be a software problem. Hopefully the problem will be solved in 10.4.6

9. cgi101 macrumors member

I guess it's good to know I'm not alone!

This is my first mac ever... just got it today. but I love it =)

10. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just thought I would update this since I ended up calling Apple again because not only did the problem persist with a new keyboard, it seemed to get worse. Not only did the media keys go out, but the entire keyboard would go out a lot. So I called and after being on hold a while, they came back and told me to try an archive and install of OSX. So I reinstalled OSX and I'm reupdating everything right now. Hopefully this will work, but I have my doubts.

11. mf2k macrumors member

mf2k

Mine are very slow... I think apple just needs to do another update =)

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

This seems odd as I have a newer 20" Intel iMac but I'm using an older KB (from my iMac G5) and I haven't had any problems with it. I've never had problems with my mouse, even though that's a MS wireless laptop mouse. I wonder what they have changed with the new KBs that cause them to do this?

13. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I haven't had the keyboard go out entirely yet, but the media keys are not working right now. I may just restore everything since I backed my entire system up with SuperDuper.

14. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

The whole keyboard went out on me today. I'll admit, it's happening a lot less often than before I archived and installed, but it's still happening. Lets hope for a fix in 10.4.6

15. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Hmm, a colleague of mine at work bought a new 17" core duo iMac to replace his dead G4 iMac and had the same problem, but his old Pro Keyboard and Universal Remote controlled the volume just fine.

This problem seems too common and hopefully 10.4.6 will be just around the corner.

16. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I installed 10.4.6 as soon as I heard about it yesterday. So far, over a day later, not one keyboard glitch. It looks like Apple may have finally fixed it! Let's hope it lasts!

17. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

18. danny_w macrumors 601

This seems to be the same as a problem reported a good while back on the Apple forums. It seems that the new Intel iMacs and new keyboards have a problem with the USB driver, and the log files show numerous USB errors when this happens. Many have reported that using a keyboard from an older Mac seemed to fix the problem, and the new keyboard on the old Mac also seemed to work. So if you have an old Mac, try switching the two keyboards around.