new iMac before October

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dunebug38, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Dunebug38 macrumors newbie

As likely as this seems...what are the arguments for and against?

I am returning to the states late September and would like an iMac waiting at the house for my return. If there is not an update yet I will be tempted to wait but I am really hoping to see an update before then.

Opinions? If not by then, then when?

I personally only ask for core duo 2 and better video card. More options would be great of course. I am very confident the wireless keyboard and mighty mouse upgrade will be there.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them by then. Apple Expo Paris (September 12-16) would be a good opportunity to introduce them.

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I'd wait, too. Apple usually doesn't go 9 months without updating a Mac line. The only time recently that I remember this happening (other than with dying lines like the PowerMac G5 and the eMac) was when they updated the 15" PB in Nov. 2002, and introduced the 12" and 17" PB in Jan. 2003, and then didn't update the PBs at all until Apple Expo in September, and that was seen as a really long time without an update.

Especially since we know that Core 2 Duo (Conroe) is on its way, I don't think it'll be long before an update. Apple Expo if not sooner. Same goes for the MBP with Merom.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Thats what I am hoping for now.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yeah, the mini, MacBook, and iMac are all due over the next couple months.

6. sixstorm macrumors regular

Man, I know that Apple is going to upgrade most of their machines to the Core 2's before the end of the year. That kinda sucks cuz a lot of us has bought our Intel Macs already . . .

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's always something better around the corner...

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'm thinking we'll see them in the next month or two. Although I'm not in the market, I'll be interested to see if they add anything to them, and what speeds they'll be coming in.

9. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

I am saving for a imac, and i basically have the money for it, and i was waiting till after this show to buy it... now i have to wait until september 16?!?!

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Perhaps. It will be worth it for the performance boost and 64 bit longevity if you plan to use any seriously processor intensive apps.

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I would love one to come out around september-october, because my iMac G4 died recently and I need a new desktop. If they came out, refurb prices for current iMacs would fall, meaning better bargains for me! :D

12. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Every time this thread comes up, I ask the same question, and no one ever comes to a consensus. I bought a top-of-the-line 20" iMac in mid June. When the upgraded iMacs come out, will I be able to buy whatever processor they stick in them (Conroe/Merom), and drop it into my current iMac? They aren't soldered in, that's why I ask.

Well, I myself wouldn't put it in, I'd have a pro do it.

13. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

i cant think of a reason why it cant be done? I definitely remember reports of replacing the cpu of yonah MacMini with a Merom. If it can be done in iMM than definitely it can be done with the iMac as iMac doesnt have soldered cpu either. Now that the meroms are going to be freely available very soon, someone will give`em a try in the iMacs and post the result.