new iMac before October

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dunebug38, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. Dunebug38 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    #1
    As likely as this seems...what are the arguments for and against?

    I am returning to the states late September and would like an iMac waiting at the house for my return. If there is not an update yet I will be tempted to wait but I am really hoping to see an update before then.

    Opinions? If not by then, then when?

    I personally only ask for core duo 2 and better video card. More options would be great of course. I am very confident the wireless keyboard and mighty mouse upgrade will be there.
     
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them by then. Apple Expo Paris (September 12-16) would be a good opportunity to introduce them.
     
  3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

    FredAkbar

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2003
    Location:
    Santa Barbara, CA
    #3
    I'd wait, too. Apple usually doesn't go 9 months without updating a Mac line. The only time recently that I remember this happening (other than with dying lines like the PowerMac G5 and the eMac) was when they updated the 15" PB in Nov. 2002, and introduced the 12" and 17" PB in Jan. 2003, and then didn't update the PBs at all until Apple Expo in September, and that was seen as a really long time without an update.

    Especially since we know that Core 2 Duo (Conroe) is on its way, I don't think it'll be long before an update. Apple Expo if not sooner. Same goes for the MBP with Merom.
     
  4. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #4

    Thats what I am hoping for now.
     
  5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #5
    Yeah, the mini, MacBook, and iMac are all due over the next couple months.
     
  6. sixstorm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #6
    Man, I know that Apple is going to upgrade most of their machines to the Core 2's before the end of the year. That kinda sucks cuz a lot of us has bought our Intel Macs already . . .
     
  7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #7
    There's always something better around the corner...
     
  8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

    Josh396

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2004
    Location:
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    #8
    I'm thinking we'll see them in the next month or two. Although I'm not in the market, I'll be interested to see if they add anything to them, and what speeds they'll be coming in.
     
  9. thechris69 macrumors 6502

    thechris69

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    #9
    I am saving for a imac, and i basically have the money for it, and i was waiting till after this show to buy it... now i have to wait until september 16?!?!
     
  10. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #10
    Perhaps. It will be worth it for the performance boost and 64 bit longevity if you plan to use any seriously processor intensive apps.
     
  11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #11
    I would love one to come out around september-october, because my iMac G4 died recently and I need a new desktop. If they came out, refurb prices for current iMacs would fall, meaning better bargains for me! :D
     
  12. seenew macrumors 68000

    seenew

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #12
    Every time this thread comes up, I ask the same question, and no one ever comes to a consensus. I bought a top-of-the-line 20" iMac in mid June. When the upgraded iMacs come out, will I be able to buy whatever processor they stick in them (Conroe/Merom), and drop it into my current iMac? They aren't soldered in, that's why I ask.

    Well, I myself wouldn't put it in, I'd have a pro do it.
     
  13. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #13
    i cant think of a reason why it cant be done? I definitely remember reports of replacing the cpu of yonah MacMini with a Merom. If it can be done in iMM than definitely it can be done with the iMac as iMac doesnt have soldered cpu either. Now that the meroms are going to be freely available very soon, someone will give`em a try in the iMacs and post the result.
     

Share This Page