New iMac causing net problems... help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Erendiox, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Hey everybody,

So I swayed my family in the right direction, and as of two weeks ago, we have a brand spanking new 17 inch iMac to replace our 7 year old junk pc. Was home long enough to test it out before I left back to college. Worked like a charm. Anyway, I'm back at college now and my family is telling me that they've been having net problems ever since the new Mac was introduced. We have vontage, so our phones and our computers are all wired up to the same router. Whenever they make/receive a call, it drops out within 2-3 minutes, and the net hiccups whenever a call is dropped. I can attest to this from experience. I happened to be calling my brother at home while I was transferring a file to him over aim. The call was dropped in a minute or two, and our transfer was interrupted and we had to start over. It seems almost like the phones are interfering with the net.

Normally I would say the router is going bad or something is wrong on the provider's end but we've had this service up and running for over a year now, and I can't ignore that this started happening right when we got the iMac. Perhaps there's a setting I can change in the iMac's net setup that might alleviate this?

Oh, and also, i've had mac's connected to this router for a long time now, but wirelessly. Attached to the router is the phones, an airport express, and the new iMac (which before was the old pc). The airport express provides net for two iBook g4s. The iMac is the first Mac to have a hard connection.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)
  2. JNB macrumors 604

Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    Get the make & model of the VOIP router and check first with the manufacturer for any known issues.

Assuming not much was done to the Mac's settings, most extra network-related services are off by default (Personal Web Sharing, Windows File Sharing, etc), but on the off chance these may have been toggled, verify that no additional services may be creating a conflict.

I had Vonage and two Macs - both hardwired Ethernet - with no problems (other than Vonage sounding like crap).