New iMac coming finally and a question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macfan881, Feb 24, 2007.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

finaly got my iMac had a few problems with ordering it but its all fixed out anyway im planning on update to the Wirless N now do i need to go through the apple site and buy it on the store and second should i update everything first be4 cause i beeen hearing of some problems after upgrading to 8021.n?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It's not clear what you are asking. Wireless is built into the iMac and does not have to be added. If you want to upgrade a router you can buy one from Apple or other companies also make n routers.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes if you want to activate 802.11n support you have to pay $1.99 to download the update from Apple. Or if buy the new Airport Extreme router the update is included.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

If you only have a Wireless G router, there's really no reason to spend $1.99 for the Draft-N enabler, unless you want to.

The first thing I did on my mac was run a software update (Apple menu -Software Update...) which took about a half an hour. Then I transferred everything that I backed up on my old PC to my iPod onto the iMac.

5. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah sorry thats what happens when im up at 2 am cant sleep lol anyway im ordering a refurb core 2 duo and i have a belkin pre-n wireless adapter so all i would need to do is just buy the 2 buck update and then im good to go?

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

All of the Core 2 Duo model's have the draft-n chip in them, so there's no need for the $100 adapter, really. It just needs to be activated to work.