New iMac connects to my network VERY slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kane250, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Kane250 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I just bought a new iMac 24" yesterday and I'm having some internet issues.

I have free internet service in my building. Usually you connect to the signal, and then it brings up a web page where you enter login info to gain access to outside websites. I was using a G4 tower with the original airport card, and didnt have any issues with this.

Now with my new iMac, I can connect to the service but the speed lags so much that it's literally slower than 56k dialup. I know nothing is wrong with the building's equipment, as I signed onto it with my laptop and it's just as fast as usual.

I know the airport card in the iMac is a newer version than the original one I had in the G4....but shouldnt that make it better?

Is there a simple fix to this? I just cant figure this one out.

thanks in advance.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Do you have it in the same place a your old one? I know this sounds weird but move it to a different part of your desk and see if that does the airport icon get better signal..

3. Kane250 thread starter macrumors newbie

actually the signal is full signal and its in the same exact spot as my previous mac. The signal is very strong...

4. punkmac macrumors regular

Wow

You posted the same problem 1 min. before me! I hope there is somekind of

solution to this problem.....It's really bad.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have any other people complaining in your apartment about the Internet? (etc, lots of people downloading stuff)

6. Kane250 thread starter macrumors newbie

nope. everything works fine in the building. Plus I have 3 other computers in my apartment that all connect fine...it's something to do with this card or my iMac..

7. Kane250 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I guess nobody has any other input on this one?

8. djdawson macrumors member

djdawson

Check your DNS server settings in your Network Preferences. It seems that the Mac doesn't like it so much if this is empty, which it often is from many DHCP servers. The trick is finding good DNS server addresses. Others have used the AT&T servers at 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 with some success (plus they're pretty easy to remember and to type), so you could try those. Otherwise, if you can ask someone what the preferred DNS servers are for your ISP, use those.

HTH - Good luck!