new iMac/DDR

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by jadam, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Has anyone noticed how on apple's website, if you go to graphics for the new iMac, they say that the Geforce2 MX has 32mb of DDR memory?? i know that the regular geforce2 MX has only SDR memory. If these new iMacs do have DDR, that would allow them to run at higher resolutions, and since the screen only supports 24bit color, you could run Return to the Castle at 1024x768 with 24bit color and get frame rates around 30-60 thanks to the DDR memory. If this is the case than this card will beat the snot out of a geforce DDR. Also this is probaly why the iMac has a fan, since my uncle had a Geforce2 MX for his pee-cee, and it burned, but it didnt have a fan on it, only a heatsink. think about it 300+mhz DDR speeds for gaming, woah!

2. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

oops. I was just at nvidias website, it has a choice between 128bit SDR, or 64bit DDR, ohh well,

3. networkman macrumors regular

ddr, rambus, rimm modules, who cares right now?

let's just get the imac shipped before the g4 1 ghz is announced which will cannibalize the imac among high end home users

the imac is our flapship and supposed money maker and saviour of the now funky apple financial situation