New iMac G5 20" died the 1st day

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by merlin_vi, Dec 4, 2004.

1. merlin_vi macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2004
    My new iMac 1.8Mhz 20" completely died the first day I received it. The problem started where the machine would go to sleep as I used it and I could not wake it back up unless I unplugged it, let it sit, and then powered on again. The problem grew progresively worse so that I could never get it back on. I had previously turned off all of the sleep settings but it would still turn off as I typed. I would hit a key on the keyboard, the light on the lower RH corner on the monitor would appear for a second, then just go out.
    When I called tech support, they asked virtualy no questions and had me do a "parameter reset" (Option-apple-P-R) as I turned on the system. Nothing. Next they had me take the back off and press a button on the main PCB for 20 sec to reset the NV ram. No luck!. The rep said sorry - take it in for repair! No questions - very matter of fact like he had heard this many times before. I called a friend of mine and he informed me his died after 2 days and it currently was at Comp USA for repair. I think ther may be some serious power isssues with these new iMacs
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    My wife had problems with her display going blank, after 1 week of use. Apple sent us a new one, I replaced it and it's been great ever since. She loves it. Just let them fix it.
  3. merlin_vi thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2004
    That is encouraging!

Well, at least it looks like Apple may have found the problem :)
  4. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    ROTF, almost all rev A products have major issues. I am going to hold off buying anything serious that has a G5 until there have those new low powered G5 chips in them.

Though the 12" iBooks are looking tempting for the road. What do you guys think?
  5. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    Ah, so you're saying 99.9% of Rev.A machines are lemons. Really? That's interesting. I don't know of any company that has delivered such a product and continued to stay in business. Imagine that.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
  7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Okay, let's not go into a fight here...

Yes, often Rev. A products are LESS RELIABLE than later models as the first models will usually have discovered bugs. No, a company will PROBABLY not stay in business if most of their Rev. A's are lemons.

Can we agree on that much?

</peer mediation>
  8. moot macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    in the great Asian wonderland
    I would read this thread about new iMacs

It seems that Apple are not being too good at repairing the iMac. If I was you, I'd take it back to the store you got it from and just ask for a refund. Say it's unnacceptable. Then get a new one.

Dont start messing around with repairs. Once a lemon - always a lemon. The same machine might develop other problems later. Return it while you still can. :)

Good luck
  9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    You left out the "L" but still, why would you be rolling on the floor about someone else's unfortunate situation? I'd be upset after paying almost $2000 for a defective product, so I empathize with the original poster. Having warranty coverage is certainly nice, but it still stinks to have to shuttle the computer back to the store.

I agree with moot, return the defective product and don't fuss with repairs. Some iMac G5 owners have gone through multiple logic board replacements without success.
  10. point665 macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2004
    Well, Microsoft has had Windows 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP and all the service packs and STILL hasnt gotten their product to be anywhere near the quality of Apples worst product (There really arent any bad Apple products though).

All these people look everytime for Apple to make some small small error, and its the biggest event on the planet if it happens, but oh-no, Microsoft can screw up as much as it wants without it turning into an event.