New iMac G5 and H.264 HD Video

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by skp574, May 5, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

I know they've only just been released, but when someone gets theirs can you please try out an HD video using the H.264 codec.

I am really interested to see people's feedback. Trying them on my Rev A 20" the video is a little choppy.

I can't get to an Apple Store to try it first hand.

If it's good, then I am seriously going to look at getting one. My current iMac was only bought in March! But faster processor, better GPU, and larger hard discs is just too tempting for me.

2. Uma888 macrumors 6502

im waiting for the same answer, if its all good, ill switch, if not then ill wait till after wwdc. PLZ people who have ordered these new machines reply asap

(sry for hijacking your thread)

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It should play any of the 720p trailers fine, but it may run into some bandwidth problems with the FSB.

Especially since it seems like a SP Rev. A PM 1.6 with a 800MHz FSB may crank out more frames than a iMac G5 1.8 with a 600MHz FSB -- with the 1080p trailers.

Eug Wanker's Trailer Table

Of course that could have been due to the 5200 video card also.

4. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

5. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've gone and done it!

Couldn't wait. I walked past the Apple Store in Regent Street and had a look in (as you do).

They didn't have any new iMacs out on display so couldn't test it, but they had lots in stock.

So I picked up a 20". Gonna take the 1GB RAM stick out of my current iMac and have a good old play over the weekend.

At least now I can get my old iMac back to a service centre to have the midplane looked at and not be left without a computer.