New iMac G5...Need advice!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DTphonehome, Mar 14, 2006.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Hi All,
    Apple has graciously sent me a brand-spanking new iMac G5 Rev C to replace my fan-noise riddled Rev A. Hooray for AppleCare! Anyhow, before I sent in the old machine, I mirrored everything to an external FW HD. Presumably, I can use the Transition Assistant (or whatever they call that program that runs when you first start your new mac) to make everything exactly the way it was on my old machine. BUT: do I want to do that? Maybe it was a software bug buried deep within the OS that was causing my noise problems on my old iMac! And besides, it's nice to do a clean install every now and then (it's nearly spring, after all!), so maybe this is a good opportunity to just selectively pluck things off the external drive if I need them. For example, I can just take my whole "Documents" folder, or my whole "Music" folder, or my whole "Pictures" folder, and then just grab Apps as I need them.

What do you guys think? Should I go for the Migration Assistant? Or start anew?

--DT

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

PM me that whole story, please, i have had some problems with my iMac G5 Rev A, i would love a Rev C

3. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

4. rumbletum macrumors regular

I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago when upgrading from my rev a iMac to intel iMac. In the end I decided to start afresh, and am glad I did. I did copy all my documents folders across wholesale, but I only copied across applications that I actually currently used. Actually I didn't copy any of them across, I reinstalled them from CD. or downloaded them again, making sure I had the latest versions of everything.