new iMac G5 Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M. Malone, Nov 13, 2005.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    I am planning on ordering the iMac G5 today, or tomorrow morning, I have had my Powerbook G4 for 2 years, 1ghz, 512 ram, I make lots of movies using iMovie, kind of a hobby and not a career path or something like that, I will be getting the iMac with 1.5 gigs of ram, this is because my powerbook is too slow to make movies and the fan comes more often now with Tiger, I plan to move all my photos, movies and music into my iMac, keep the powerbook as an internet device with some light applications.

my question is, will the iMac with 1.5 gigs of memory be enough for me to make iMovies? and will it be enough if some day I decide to upgrade to Final Cut express? Making movies seems to be the most intense thing I do, I'm assuming it can do everything better than my powerbook does.

and PLEASE, tell me if there's anything I should know before I make this order, thanks everybody.

Edit: what about the switch to Intel? how will that affect me as an owner of a G5? I plan to own it for at least 3-4 years
  2. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    1.5Gb of ram will run iMovie a lot better compared to your Power Book. The speed will also depend on the processor, if you are going to get the 20" with the 2.1 G5, you should be able to run iMovie fine. If you do upgrade to Final Cut Express, I would upgrade the ram to 2Gb from Crucial because they are a lot cheaper compared to ordering it from Apple.