New Imac.....GRRR

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dark, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Dark macrumors regular

I am furious. I bought a new iMac g5 just about a month ago. If i would have known about this, i would have waited. I am so mad. Anyone else with me?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, to repeat what is said every time someone posts what you've just said, updates happen. There's always going to be someone who bought a month before an update. It's unfortunate for you, but the 99.99% of us who didn't buy in the past month aren't going to feel much sympathy since we want to see updated machines.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Does your iMac suddenly run slower today since the announcement of new kit?
    When you made the purchase, were you happy with the specs of the Mac you bought and the price you paid?
    What period of time before the inevitable upgrade occurs would be sufficient for you not feel put out?

I understand your disappointment. The same thing happened to me when I got my G4 iMac AND my PowerBook. Come to think of it, every computer I've ever bought has been either upgraded or replaced within months of my purchase.
    All tech gets upgraded sooner or later, and a certain number of folks will get burned every time it happens.

4. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Feel you're pain

We got a Rev. A a year ago! And even I'm mad! Of course I couldn't have waited another year.

5. Dark thread starter macrumors regular

No what pisses me off is that there was no word about it. There so so much hype over updated powerbooks and dual core powermacs and all that non-sense. All of the. End of Cycle , Dont buy, updates soon. I had the green light to buy, and then this happens. Apple Updated what diddnt need to be updated and left the other products to rott untill Intel's.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I can't take credit for this nugget of wisdom, but it goes something like this.

Stay away from all Mac Rumor sites the minute you buy a new Mac. You'll be much happier with all of the stress you'll be saving yourself.

ft

7. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Fortunately I wasn't out and about last week with illness. So the iMac 20" went without being purchased. As soon as the're available in NZ, I'll be at the front of the ordering queue for the new 20"
    Grey Beard

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I think it is pretty fugly. I'd be happy with what I had.

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

heh and i sent an email to a coworker telling him how obsolete his iMac is, now that the new ones have PCIe and DDR2

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the only thing that your mac is missing is a big ugly hole in the top for the iSight.

the video cards are basically the same, processor is hardly faster, and the overall package is a bit slimmer. big deal.

and as for the isight, do we even know if apple incorporated the patented microphone technology in to the new imac? because if not, the old isight is still a better deal that this new one.

i have the 20in rev B and am very happy with it

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My current Mac is the fastest computer I've ever owned and it was manufactured in 2001. So I don't feel bad for you. :)

12. CyberDoberman macrumors member

WTF?

Do you even know what you are talking about? The new PCIExpress X600 series is 15-20% faster than the Radeon 9650 found in the Dual 2.7Ghz G5s.

The old nVidia 5700 was about on par with a Radeon 9200... The new X600 PCI Express will WHOOP ITS ASS... Jesus Christ... man...

13. LGRW3919 macrumors regular

dangit!!!!!!!
    i just got mine about a month and a half ago!
    man the new video card, isight, PCIe...AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

The computing world moves so fast if your going to buy something it almost allways updates after you do. :(

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

and that X600 can run a 30" ACD, i don't think so

troll......

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The iMac iSight page mentions audio chatting through iChat, so the iSight certainly has microphone capabilities – although whether or not it's anything more whizz-bang than the traditional iMac built-in microphone remains to be seen.

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I bought mine 6 wks. ago and no I am not mad. If my iMac makes me money and I get what I need to get done with ease then no way can I get mad.
    I looked at the upgrades and said...nice, but how about that iPod :D

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Welcome to Apple hardware, where updates happen! Oh wait updates happen with every company? If you don't like your old iMac sell it on eBay and buy the new one.

What is it with people and Apple upgrades? No matter what Apple do you'll always get someone complaining. Did your iMac just stop working?

What also makes me laugh is all the people complaining about how good the graphics card in the iMac is compared to the Power Mac - WAKE UP CALL - the Power Mac is a workstation not a gaming box, will it get PCIe video cards? Now that the iMac has them of course it will. Apple probably sell a heap more iMacs than Power Macs oh my God they update that first?

People should stop whinning and actually open their eyes to the possibilities Apple actually have openned for the new hardware, it looks like the last generation of PPC Macs are really going to kick ass!

19. LGRW3919 macrumors regular

after some thinking, i got down to it and i'm darned happy with my 20" Rev B. It's a lot of fun, realllly fast with 2 GB RAM, and does everything i need it to. okay, it may not have the extra 100 Mhz, or 33Mhz faster FSB (i believe), PCIe, or DDR2 but i'll be fine. the 9600 does everything fine from Americas Army to iMovie. so i think this machine is great and i like not having a little black dot at the top of my screen come to think of it..

20. LGRW3919 macrumors regular

amen

21. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yeah, I really want one now but I know I woulda died waiting another 6 months.

22. chungbob macrumors newbie

Why would you want to be furious ? end of the day you still have the iMac G5 - something which you was willing to pay for.

remember you can never keep up with technology.

23. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

OK. So according to Apple I have a couple of options for my unopened iMac that arrived just after this mornings iMac update was annouced.

Either:

1) a CDN$400 refund - which I imagine would be used for maxing out the memory to 2Gb.

2) Returning the unit for a full refund and then ordering a new iMac. I'd still have to spend more money on maxing out the memory (2.5Gb) - which I understand the only option is an expensive 2Gb chip (?)

Thoughts?

24. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

1. If you got the 20" or the mid range 17" iMac i would take the $400 refund and max the ram. (new updates don't add much value)
    2. If you got the low end 17" iMac I would swap it. (new updates add considerable value)

25. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That's a toughie. If you don't think you'll want the 50% faster GPU or built-in isight, go with 1. If you go with 2, you could spend $200 (or whatever it is in Canada) to upgrade to 1.5GB, which is the most cost-effective upgrade for the new iMacs.