New iMac HD noise, superdrive problem, etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by queshy, Feb 27, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

[I originally posted in iMac forum but I moved it to here]
    Hello,

So my replacement iMac came today (24"), because the original one I had kernel paniked daily.
    The new one came in today...and everything seems to be fine. Except the superdrive...when importing songs into iTunes off a CD, the speed is like 5-7x. When I copied a file from a data cd to the hard drive, it was pretty slow. I also can't even hear the disk spinning! Shoudln't it be all noisy and spinning? I can't even tell there's a cd in there. The CD is also seems to be quite hot when it comes out...

My hard drive is also making a clicking sound when accessing programs and such..not sure if it's normal or not. Once the program is open it stops, but the HD is noisier than in my last iMac. Anything to worry about?

thanks

Edit: the superdrive spins hte CD (i hear it) when burning a cd (iTunes backup) The tracks seem to be burning pretty quickly as well. (a few seconds per song)The superdrive isnt nearly as loud as in the last iMac.
    Edit #2: According to istat nano, the GPU is at 54* C, and the drive bay 48...that's pretty hot, no?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Sorry I can't help much, but my MacBook ripped a CD at 8-9x.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, mine starts to rip at like 4 then climbs up to 8.5 byt he time the CD (12 tracks) is done.

4. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

iMac hard drive click

Hello,

Sorry for making a 2nd thread about this..I didn't want to bump the old one, but I got no answers, and am kind of worrying.

[Mod note: Threads are now merged! One thread per topic, please, and no bumping!]

Whenever I access programs or files, I hear hte hard drive spinning/grinding/clicking. Hard to describe...it sounds like the normal read/write noises that my PCs hard disk makes, but I just want to make sure that it's not broken or anything. It's not particualrly loud..but I dont think I noticed it with teh first iMac I had. when the system is idle, or im just typing, or web browsing, or whatever, I dont hear the click...I only hear it when opening a program for the first time.
    I tried calling apple and they said if you think theres a problem bring it to an authorized service dealer (thanks a lot...).

Hope someone can help,

Thanks

5. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

My old P3 lappy started clicking and had bad sectors on it. I still am using it after over a year of that. If it is still under warranty I would take it in. When a hard drive starts clicking, it is starting to go bad. There really won't be much argument about that. It is only a matter of time. If you don't have anymore warranty, just keep using it and start backing everything up right now. At least you got a warning.

6. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Nope, it's brand new! This is terrible...Im really disappointed in Apple. This is the 2nd iMac. It also has that dreaded display hum...except the hum doesn't disappear on max brightness.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

When a hard drive is clicking it's on the verge of total and utter failure (or it could "just" be overheating, but that's not good for it either and may also cause failure).

Backup whatever data you cannot afford loosing, now, and keep the backup current until you get a chance to have an Apple Service Center look at the drive, most likely it will need to be replaced.

Of course you could wait for it to make its final click-of-death (I had a drive that still worked after almost a year of clicking and making all sorts of noises that was replaced on the spot under warranty when I had it looked at), but the best thing would be to have someone look at it as fast as possible...

Oh, and hard disks can die at any time, one week, a month, three months, five years... the only thing that is certain is that sooner or later it probably will fail, so - again, and this one is for everybody - backup your data. Today.

9. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks!

It's not a constant click though, it's only when I access program. Oh well...gonna call Apple for a replacement...

10. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That sounds like the best idea. Good luck.

11. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks for the reply. Im gonna speak with custoemr relations tomorrow and see what they can do...I really can't afford to wait another two weeks for a computer. I wish I could just return it, get my money back ,and buy it at an apple store nearby so that if its broken I can return it...Ill keep everyone updated