Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
It appears majorly to me that the new iMac is a redesigned Cube. The iMac's dome base is similar dimensions to the cube. It's also a G4, like the Cube. It just looks like they rounded out the cube, hooked up an LCD to it, and dropped the price by $500. Didn't Steve say something that the Cube was coming back?

-kainjow

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Re: New iMac is the Cube!

That's what I first thought until I looked at the specs and now have been using my new iMac for a while.

It has a different motherboard, different graphics, different power supply, different G4 processor, requires a fan, can't upgrade the graphics and has a built in monitor.

Other than the shape and the construction, it is virtually identical... just kidding:D

I'm sure a concept or two from the Cube went into this design, but it is quite different.

Take care

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
nope not at all. Steve will resurect the cube but it won't have a G4 or an attached monitor.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If it was the cube, then it wouldn't be called the iMac. They would have come up with something different, and then let everyone know.

As mentioned before, the cube didn't have a monitor attached or built in. Also, the iMac doesn't have the same kind of power adapter as the cube did. There are just too many things that are different between the cube and new iMac.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I've seen this comment on several websites... and I don't really understand the comparison... the only thing the iMac and the Cube have in common is the number of letters in their names. The whole "point" of the Cube was to be above the consumer line, without all the cost or size of the towers.. being the consumer line, that kinda makes the iMac Not-the-Cube.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'd say the only thing that the cube and new iMac have in common are that they are both Mac systems and both are innovative.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Are you cubing?

The cube isn't coming back... Steve just said that to save face. That would be like bringing back the Lisa at this point. They're both about as dead. Nobody will buy a "professional" level system that can't be expanded more than a consumer level machine.. especially not at a professional level price. Rumors aside, I don't believe we'll see return of the cube.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
the cube kicked @ss. Actually it still does. silent, powerful, easy on the eyes. sure the cableing was a mess and it was expensive, but its a great machine (especially when you get it refurbed with a 15 inch lcd for $1,700)

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
I can see where some people might think the iMac is a redesigned cube, but the new iMac DEFINITELY has little relation to the cube other than the fact that it's a very compact design and they are both G4s running on a 100Mhz system bus.

The cube was and still is pretty cool, but I agree that we'll probably never see a new incarnation of it. There's still really no place for it given the new iMacs and PowerMacs. :rolleyes:

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I think the biggest thing they have in common is cramming a lot of stuff into a relatively small area, and lack of expandability as a cost of that. Designs get improved over time as we all know, but the cube never got that chance. The iMac, however, I can easily see being revised over the next few years in terms of hardware/port positioning and access, easier expandability, etc. Just like the original iMac.

In the Rev.A iMac you had to practically take the damn thing apart just to get to the RAM. If memory serves (no pun intended :D ), they made that task easier in later models.

The cube was ahead of its time. In five years it will be in the same boat as the Newton, the Macintosh Portable, and some might even say the QuickTake. :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Hemingray
I think the biggest thing they have in common is cramming a lot of stuff into a relatively small area, and lack of expandability as a cost of that. Designs get improved over time as we all know, but the cube never got that chance. The iMac, however, I can easily see being revised over the next few years in terms of hardware/port positioning and access, easier expandability, etc. Just like the original iMac.

In the Rev.A iMac you had to practically take the damn thing apart just to get to the RAM. If memory serves (no pun intended :D ), they made that task easier in later models.

The cube was ahead of its time. In five years it will be in the same boat as the Newton, the Macintosh Portable, and some might even say the QuickTake. :)

You are correct in what has to be done to install/replace memory in the iMacs (pre-slot load). I did one last week, where you have to turn it over, pull one screw, remove the bottom housing/cover. Then pull two more screws, remove the cables (three) and then pull out the entire guts of the computer. You then have to remove a thin metal cover and heat sink before getting to where the memory is. Even then, you only have access to one slot, you have to remove the processor to get at the other one.

On the slot load iMac's, all the way up to the newest version it is easier. Just turn it over, use a quarter to open the hatch and put the memory in. Takes all of a few minutes to install, and then restart.

The new iMac, has screws that need to be pulled again to install more memory, and even more if you want to go to 1GB of RAM.

I still look forward to the day that we get the new iMac's at work... I just wonder when that will be.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Mark my words, the cube will be back! Everything Apple has done, has been redone on the Pc market on or two years later and it has become a success! I think Apple should patent a cube shape computer, just in case.

We have countless examples of this: Newton, GUI, moving from the beige box...

stoid

macrumors 601
G5 Cube

What's the biggest cosmetic difference between the iMac and the iMac2? SIZE. What's going to be the biggest cosmetic difference between the G4 and the G5? SIZE. Jobs is taking miniaturization to a new level, I think that even if it's not a Cube, Jobs will find someway to shrink the workings of the G5 into something small.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
You cannot be SERIOUS in trying to compare the iMac and Cube!!!

The iMac can't upgrade it's:
1. Processor
2. Graphics card
3. Memory past 1Gb
4. Screen

...the Cube can. End of story.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I think they should make the Cube in to Servers, they would look great in our server room.

Ensign

Not really all that practical if you ask me. The cube wouldn't have the horsepower to be a file or application server in anthing but a small user group situation. While they may look great in the server room, you would need to put external hard drives onto them, as well as too many other parts to make it viable.

The current G4 servers do a much better job of it. They also contain redundant power supplies (just in case one fails, the other kicks in so that you have 0 down time).

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
What?

Originally posted by AlphaTech

The current G4 servers do a much better job of it. They also contain redundant power supplies (just in case one fails, the other kicks in so that you have 0 down time).

Ummmm.....what makes you think this?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: What?

Originally posted by Nipsy

Ummmm.....what makes you think this?

The information to confirm this is available to Apple Certified Service Providors, not always to the general public. The switching of the power supplies is internal, and the server gives you an alert when one part fails. That gives you time to obtain a replacement power supply from Apple. This minimizes the down time, since it should only take a matter of minutes to swap the supplies.

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
You cannot be SERIOUS in trying to compare the iMac and Cube!!!

The iMac can't upgrade it's:
1. Processor
2. Graphics card
3. Memory past 1Gb
4. Screen

...the Cube can. End of story.

Have you tried looking into a Graphics card upgrade? A friend of mine discovered to his dismay that while he could theoritically upgrade the graphics card, nobody makes one that actually fits inside the confines of the cube. The cube is also a lot slower than an iMac and you can't put a superdrive in it.

And who makes a processor upgrade to go into the fanless cube? It doesn't help to have the upgrade path if nobody is willing to support it.

End of sequel...

PS - Don't get me wrong, I think the cube is cool, and you're right, you can put a bigger (and/or better) monitor on it. If you know of graphics card and/or processor upgrades, let me know. I've got someone I'd like to pass the info along to. :)

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Very interesting... I always wondered why there was a different Server model of the towers.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
OK CHess...

If you check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com you'll find some fantastic options for upgrading the Cube - the Dual-Processor 500MHz option is particularly tasty...

...As far as graphics cards go, as far as I know, you can take a GeForce2 MX card from a G4 Tower, and put it inside the Cube - thus still having a fanless machine (but it's advisable to put a low-power fan inside the chassis - Apple even left room for one!). You have to swap the mounting brackets, though...

Check out http://www.cube-zone.com for more info...

Hope this helps your friend.

Rockridge

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2002
Imac = icube

The new imac is the cube for one very important reason... it will have the same overheating problems that the cube has. Too bad, cause the cube is a cool idea... silent and stylish, but these machines do need air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.