New iMac/Lighwave3D commerical

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Haha

Its good, but it doesnt really show the iMac very well.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: New iMac/Lighwave3D commerical

that is awesome...

arn

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

dare to dream

i dare to dream about creating something that cool/good.

when i read the initial thing, it seemed like it was just something small and simple. but the waves and all that... that boggles my mind..

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Two large pizzas! Good Christ! Is this a man or a carnivorous elephant?

Alex

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Great CG!

Too bad the iMac's display isn't actually that flexible...it would rival the IBM that was discussed in another thread...

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That truly is awesome! I would LOVE to see that one on TV. :cool:

Give all my PC friends a hard time. :D

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

They should show that on TV right away!!!

ITS AWESOME!!!

irmongoose

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I work with Lightwave all the time, mostly 3d illustration, but some animation. I was really impressed by the things he did, actually, inspired.

Now I have to go and figure out how it was all done...

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I thought it was very well done. It looked nice, felt nice, and I want that on TV. The only problem with that on TV is that it doesnt really show off the iMac, just lightwave ON the iMac. That's what it was made for.

The most impressive part was the waves and sand. Mostly the waves. I'm just getting started with 3D computer animation with Maya at school and I have no idea how they did that. Hopefully one day I too can make that in a week!! It took me 2 1/2 weeks to make a still of my room! AHHHHH!

I find it funny that for anything for the iMac that's made to show it off has to have it moving its display all over the place. Why not have them doing some other kind of function??? I know its cool, but I wouldnt buy a computer for a moving display....what about the specs?

Maybe I'm wrong and that's what will get the comsumers to bite....so then fine, have the moving iMac display commercials. I just think putting it with a more technical atmosphere could get some peecee users to come oevr.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think as others have said... it's hard to sell something in 30 seconds... the main purpose of the ad should be to capture interest...

as well.... I think Apple (in their ad) is targeting the non-Computer-person... so spouting off specs is not going to entice them at all

arn

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've found that people get confused or tune you out if you start talking MHz, Megabyte, Gigabyte, etc., and these are people who use computers daily. Most people just want to use the machine and not worry about how or why it works.

Apple's adds show something more than just someone working on a computer. The actors are interacting or playing and having fun, and why not?

If (when) Apple becomes more of a heavy weight in the workstation arena, then they should go in swinging the specs. Right now it won't do them any good, especially with such a low percentage of users.

15. kevine macrumors newbie

Awesome, but not for a TV ad

I think it's obvious to anyone who knows what they don't know about creating that animation, that it's friggin awesome.

However, I don't think they should air it on TV. It may have been a great ad to introduce the iMac, but at this point they should be showing the utility of the iMac...even the utility of the display.

In other words, they should show a series of ads where two people enter a room with an iMac that has its screen moved out of the way. One person moves the screen down, and connects a video camera, still camera, or iPod (one commercial for each). Then runs iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Final Cut or whatever, but in some compelling way. The second person bends the monitor towards him and does something that makes the video or image even more stunning. The then burn a DVD, CD or take the iPod with them, or publish photos on the Web, or receive the iPhoto Book, or something that shows the value and ease of use.

Likewise a comparitive ad to Windows would be REALLY interesting. Show how Windows software (and hardware) totally sucks compared to what you get with the iMac.

BTW: Just like the Pixar iMac animation, this one has the display moving in ways that it doesn't move physically in real life.

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I think the idea is more to show off Lightwave, not the iMac... but putting them hand-in-hand would turn heads.