New imac look alike?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sharky2313, Aug 26, 2004.

1. sharky2313 macrumors member

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's just a small form factor PC, nothing more. Dell do these, the GX270 SFF (we have a crap load of 'em at work :rolleyes: ).

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's a good way to do a SFF (small form factor) PC. I don't think the iMac G5 will look like it, though. Apple always knows how to impress designers - they won't fail this time.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I don't really see a point in putting laptop parts in a desktop except to make it a worse computer and make it more expensive.

5. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

6. sharky2313 thread starter macrumors member

LOL, that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time. :D

7. MrJohnson macrumors member

Or quieter, cooler, and the hard drives are less prone to crashing due to shaking or heat.

Nice one though.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Ugly is not a good thing when trying to penetrate the Japanese market...they like their tech stylish

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How can it be an iMac lookalike when we don't even know what the iMac looks like?

I'm still waiting for the "LOOK! IBM just ripped off Apple again!" thread. I'm sure it'll come out in a month when someone else finds this computer and compares it to the newly released iMac.

Its a smart design that everyone is using, although not nice looking at all. No copying, no ripoff, and no lookalike. Nothing to see here...

10. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

I'd generally agree in principle, but this does assume that the smaller components are indeed more expensive, or alternatively, that a smaller compoent remains more expensive after the (laptop+desktop) production quantities are combined, as this drives down costs...

Even so, this approach might make the desktop slightly more expensive, but by common parts, it can also make the laptops cheaper. A fair trade-off?

-hh