New iMac - must have software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nraygun, May 15, 2005.

1. Nraygun macrumors newbie

May 9, 2005
    I'm patiently waiting for my new iMac 17" to arrive. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I'm prepping to receive it and have a bunch of questions about software. I'm making the switch from Windows!

Do I need Antivirus software and if so, which one? Symantec?

What's a good BitTorrent client?

I think the first thing I'll be doing is working with my photos. One thing I'd like to try on the Mac is making a calendar with pictures. Can iPhoto do this? If not, what's a good calendar creation program?

What other utilities will I need?

What's a killer game for this platform?

What other killer apps and must have software do you recommend?

Can't wait!
  2. 36183 Guest

Jun 24, 2004
    What's a good BitTorrent client? take a pick

What other utilities will I need? most thins are in the utlity folder.

What's a killer game for this platform? Quake 3, WoW, UT2004, also see here

What other killer apps and must have software do you recommend?

- colloquy
    - handbrake
    - VLC
    - Adium
    - Rapidweaver
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Congratulations. It should be well worth the wait.

Right place for that. One tip, though, before posting try to search, as most of your answers are answered time and again... ;)

No. Antivirus is not needed. Actually no AV software will work with Tiger, for now... keep backup of all files you cannot afford losing, and be cautious and you will never get any problems.

Bits on Wheels.

I'm still using iPhoto '04, and don't know if '05 has this option. Check Apple's iLife pages. If not see if you find anything on Apple's download pages or VersionTracker

Anacron is good if you're not going to run the machine 24/7. ClearDock to make your dock transparent.

MenuMeters to monitor your Mac from the menu bar or XRG to do it from the desktop. Meteorologist is nice, too. (I still use all these even if much of the same functionality can be found in different Dashboard widgets.)

Not sure, I don't play a lot of games. A perfect question for the games forum.

A nice free text editor is handy, I recommend TextWrangler or SubEthaEdit. Adium X for IM-ing. Check out the old "Official" Must Have Free Apps/tools Thread for more recommendations. (EDIT: Just beware that some old apps/utils will not work properly with Tiger.)

Patience. Patience. ;)
  4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Investigate a book called "OS X: The missing Manual".
    It goes from beginner to really quite advanced.
    It also has a large switching section and indexes such as "Where'd it go?" for all people used to windows etc.
    This book is infallible, and should keep you off these forums for all but the strangest of problems!
    I recommend this book to all Mac newcomers - I should get commission!

seriously though, check it out. (I think the Tiger version should be out soon)

If you can't find that one there's plenty of books out there which I'm sure would do the same job.
    No-one buys books anymore - they should - they can be so useful!
  5. blvdeast macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2003
    Cliffside Park, NJ
    Here's my must haves:
    Adium- instant messeges
    Audacity- Good sound editing/mixing program
    Camino/Firefox- could never have too many browsers besides Safari/IE
    Cyberduck- FTP connections
    Disk Inventory- When your HD has .5GB left, this will tell you why
    Gimp- If you don't feel like paying for photoshop
    NeoOffice/J- If you don't feel like paying for Office
    OnyX- A good tune up program
    Quicksilver- honestly, the #1 program in my mac. use it ALL the time. I can't even explain what it does, check it out:
    Real Player/Windows Media Player- You will need them
    VLC- Best overall media player
    X-Chat Aqua- IRC client

As for games:
    Quinn- Tetris, nothing beats it
    SNES9X- Super nitendo emulator

For security all I have is the OSX firewall and Little Snitch just for extra safety, no Anti-Virus

All these programs should be free or or a small charge to get rid of the demo version ($10-$25) Not sure if they will run on Tiger since I am on Panther, but check it out