New iMac, no optical drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joecool85, Jul 28, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

iMac G5 1.6GHz/ 256MB/ 40GB/ NO OPTICAL/ NO MODEM/ 17-inch - Apple Certified Refurbished

Found that on the refurb part of apple.com It's going for $799. Weird huh? No optical drive at all...what would you use it for? And what would you do if the system needed to be reinstalled??

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Good deal.

Network install, or USB CD drive.

These are used in education settings so students arent ripping stuff off the hard disk or installing unauthorized programs.

You can also probably install a slot load CD drive into it.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes this is for schools since most that are buying new models are doing this and that is with (hate to say it) Dells as well. I went to the computer lab at school (college) and now you need to have that usb thumb drive to store all the things you need not to mention what the schools save in cost and repair without having as they say "extras" come with each model :rolleyes:

4. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah...I guess there is some use for it in some educational settings. But not in college, at least not imo. At my college all of the computers for internet lounge use etc even have regular drives and all of the lab computers have combo drives. *shruggs* I just thought it was a little strange thats all.