New iMac not meeting expectations...yet

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by YoYoMac, Aug 31, 2005.

1. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Okay, so I bought a 20" iMac a week ago. I previously had a 1.5 17" Powerbook. Now, the Powerbook was my first mac ever. It ran great, until I started editing video, then it ran like a dog with only 2 legs.

So, I bought the iMac in hopes that I'd be able to edit video faster. So far, this new 2.0 ghz G5 computer feels slower then my 1.5 G4. Now, I do only have 512 gig of ram in this new one, which WILL be upgraded to 2 gigs soon. The powerbook had 1 gig of ram in it. Is this why it feels slower?

Does RAM really make it computer feel faster? You have to understand, I'm from the Windows world, and from my experience going from 512 to 2 gigs in windows doesn't make the computer feel faster because Windows doesn't hog resources like OS X.

I guess I just expected the G5 to feel faster then a G4, but it doesn't to me...yet. I'm trying to be optimistic.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you turned the processor up the the Highest settings from the System Preferences? Also, the RAM should help, if only for running the system better. :)

3. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sort of correct there but the reasoning's a little off. It's not that OSX hogs resources (which it does to an extent) but rather that it can distribute and take advantage of 2GB much more effectively than Windows can.

Anyway, irrespective of this, I'm sure you'll get a fair leap in performance after you install the RAM. It'll certainly cut down your meetings with the bouncing beachball. For video editing, you need lots and lots of RAM to keep the apps from accessing the hard drive, which is much slower than accessing the RAM. I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with it so far, but it'll definitely speed up with 1GB plus. I've got a G5 iMac and it's much faster than any G4 I've ever touched. :)

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Windows doesnt hog resources? LOL. Windows XP is very memory taxing on my machine, and I just loaded it to 768 MB of RAM.

The reason OSX may feel slower than the Powerbook is due to the lack of RAM, OSX, like any Unix/Linux distro, takes all the memory, and then manages it all and manages it while apps borrow the RAM. This is how its so rock solid. :)

6. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Thanks mad jew, I appreciate your posts. I didn't say I wasn't happy, I just expected more. I'm quite happy with the system. The screen is amazing, except for the blue line of stuck pixels I post a week ago. No one notices but me, and I don't notice it during normal use. That'll be fixed as soon as I can take the 80 mile trip down to Atlanta. It would probably be cheaper to just send it by mail, but my dad will go with me, so we'll probably go to some nice place to eat. And it'll help my quest to change him to a Mac head if I can get him into the store there at Lenox square.

Okay, so all that information was totally random, but oh well.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problem. If the pixels are blue, doesn't that mean they're just stuck and very gentle rubbing will bring them back to life? I missed your other thread but I'm guessing other members already told you this and it didn't work, right?

If you do rub them, use a clean cloth.

8. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Just tried what you suggested, but nothing happened. Oh well. Got my hopes up there for a minute. The line only shows up on certain colors. I doesn't show up on white or black. It always shows on my menu bar and anything just off white I guess.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Rub a tiny bit harder maybe? Don't do anything you'd feel uncomfortable with though, but it needs more than just a wipe. Hopefully they'll go back to normal. :)

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

12. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Okay, I'm gonna try this. I might be epileptic after I do this, but I don't care.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think you actually have to watch it... :p

Best of luck.

14. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

15. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I am a bit confused to what you mean by this, video runs at a constant speed, in terms of playing and editing video my G4 733 isn't much different to my G5 d2.7. The video still runs at 25/30fps. When it comes to rendering video/motion/shake the G5 wipe the floor with the G4.

I would suggest getting as much ram as you can squeeze into the imac, using an external FW drive for the media & getting rid of any 'background' apps you might have installed. Also don't install any antivirus. This will bring any video system to its knees.

16. tisi123 macrumors newbie

FileVault

Have you turned on the FileVault in the system preferences/security? If so, turn it off immediately.

17. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Your right, I didn't explain myself just right. I am referring to rendering motion graphics onto dv clips in FCP and stuff like that. I don't have shake, so I don't know. But I know that this new G5 feels the same if not slower in motion as my laptop did. I rendered a 10 sec motion clip on to a shot of my new daughter and it took like a min. My powerbook would've done it in about 20 seconds. When I'm playing around with graphics in Motion, it MIGHT go 10 or 11 fps. MIGHT. Usually it's slower. And I'm not one of those people who edits the graphic while it's playing, even though that is cool. I have to stop it or I can't hardly click any buttons.

I usually have iTunes running all the time. Little snitch, synergy, menu meters, and of course the dashboard. I don't know if these little programs will affect things that much.

18. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Not on. Don't think it's ever been on.

19. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

They might be slowing you down, with the limited memory you have. Get the memory upgrade asap! Motion is very graphics card dependent, is the card in the iMac better that the Powerbook?

Have you tried quitting all the extra apps to see how FCP runs? Or you could create your self a clean user account just for editing.

20. swy32x macrumors regular

RE the stuck pixel - I got a q-tip, an earbud thing, wet it with my saliva and rubbed the pixel ... and bam, back to new!

Try it!

21. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Ram will be ordered soon. The graphics card on the iMac has double the ram, but its a model number lower. Its a 9600 with 128 megs. the Powerbook was a 9700 but only had 64 megs.

22. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

I'm holding my 2 week old daughter, and typing these posts takes a lot longer now. :)

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So did ITASOR's thing work for the stuck pixels then? Or has it just mesmerised your kid? :p

24. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

An unsolicitied recommendation on the RAM: I know a lot of people swear by Crucial or the OEM RAM you can get from Other World Computing, but I read a number of good things about Patriot brand RAM. In fact, I went ahead and ordered some for myself--a 1GB stick from Newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220030
    A number of customers wrote feedback on that site stating how well it's worked in their G5 iMacs, and I've had the same experience--for about 10 days now it's worked flawlessly in my 17" 2.0 GHz iMac. What convinced me were the good reviews and the nearly unbeatable price.

Going from 512 MB to 1.5 GB has made the iMac a very smooth performer, though I'm not doing any video editing or anything.

As they say, "Just my two cents..."

Update: Looks like Newegg doesn't carry that particular stick of RAM anymore. Huh. That's a shame.