New iMac - Please give thoughts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by McFoxy, Aug 12, 2006.

1. McFoxy macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2006
    I was really hoping to get some info on a new iMac at WWDC.

Does anyone have a clue as to when they will release an upgraded version? I know there's no official release on any info., but what's your best guess?

Any ideas on what the upgrades will include? Just a better processor, or other stuff too? 1GB standard RAM?
  2. zane macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2006
    I would'nt look forward to a new imac till january at macworld san fransisco.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005

iMac was never going to be talked about at the WWDC - it's a developer's conference so consumer products rarely if ever rate a mention.

As to updates, there are a few schools of thought going around, for a full discussion of these just do a search for the topics you want to find, until then this is the general gist:

1. iMac to be updated with Core 2 Duo "Conroe" processors.

2. iMac to be updated with Core 2 Duo "Merom" processors.

There are pros and cons for each type of processor, Conroe would deliver faster performance but more heat thus more noise. Merom would be cooler but the performance boost would be less noticeable (though still significant, Merom will really scream with the new Santa Rosa chipset due next year, until now it will have to be content with "flying").

I think we should see an update soon, possibly at Apple Expo Paris next month - the show that introduced the iMac in it's current (albeit refined) guise back in 2004, but maybe as a silent update via press release and on the Apple Store.

I doubt that an update would include anything beyond the new processor, unless Apple are bringing with the new Core architecture (Core Duo isn't based on Core Architecture, Core 2 Duo is) a brand new enclosure. I'm not sure of this though considering just how little the outside of the Mac Pro changed - but then look at the inside...

Do you get the point? There are just so many possibilities and ideas that nobody really knows what's going to happen. All I know is that if you need an iMac, get one. An update isn't going to make the current one any less of a top machine - it will still work superbly well.
  4. McFoxy thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2006
    Still not decided

Thanks for the info. I didn't even know about the Apple Expo. Very interesting.

I just can't decide what to do. I feel like getting a Mac Pro (even the 2.0 GHz) is probably a bit of overkill for me. Although, I do like a fast computer!

But, I find my current 1.83 GHz iMac a bit slow at times. For example, if I am running FFMpegX, iSquint, and Toast all at the same time it is soooooo slow. Do you think the new iMacs will be noticeably faster, or should I just get a Mac Pro?

The one downside to the Mac Pro is that it doesn't come with some of the fun stuff like the remote, isight, etc. And, the iMacs are just a cleaner set up.

I'm torn. What would you do?
  5. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2006
    I would go with the iMac.
    I dunno...I just have an attraction to the iMac. :rolleyes:
  6. kristiano macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2005

I don't think Apple would wait 12 full months before updating the iMac, that's out of character (if that word can be used) for them. Probably sometime later this year before the Holiday season would be my guess.
  7. LastBreath macrumors member

May 27, 2005
    South Wales, UK
    I've heard rumors going around that the the imac's case will be redone, prehaps to deal with the extra heat from the Conroe cpus :confused:
  8. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    Paris Expo, September 12th to 16th. I hope so at least. Along with MacMini and MacBook...:D