new imac ram questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BEASTMAN, Oct 15, 2005.

1. BEASTMAN macrumors member

Hello, I am looking into buying one of the new imacs apple just recently announced. This is my first personal mac, family has 2 in the house, but excited in having my own. I want to get the least amount of ram possible for this thing so I can just buy more on newegg.com What is bothering me is what kind of ram is in it. I know its DDR2 533mhz but is it the pc2 4200 or the 4300? I dont want to purchase the wrong ram for this thing. What is the cas latency and other specs I need to match? Also I need to find a tutorial on how to put in ram for an iMac safely. Ive put in ram in powermacs, and countless pcs. I just want to know how to take apart the imac safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also quick question, ilife comes with the imac, not a trial version correct?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Just a hint: Try a search on the fourm, there are other threads on iMac RAM already.

There is no consensus among manufacturers whether to call DDR-2 533 MHz PC4200 or PC4300. To confuse the issue, there is also overclocking DDR RAM called PC4400. The "PC" moniker is a marketing thing and not official. Go by the DDR-2 533 MHz designation. CAS Latency on DDR-2 is almost always 4 -- historically, Apples work with a wide range of DDR latencies and there is no indication that the Mac motherboards can take advantage oflower latency.

DDR-2 533 is the only spec that Apple has released; until memory companies can get iMacs in their hands for testing, you just have to take a chance. Make sure you have a no-cost return guarantee if it doesn't work. I would go with a Mac memory seller over newegg or another discounter.

Installation should be easy if it is like prior iMac G5 chassis. Don't get RAM with heat spreaders on, as there may not be physical room for them. Remember there is only the one socket.

Thansk
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. BEASTMAN thread starter macrumors member

I searched around a bit, saw nothing on the new ram for the imacs. Taking the case apart and the ilife questions just came to me while I was typing my post so sorry. So no matter what I do Im stuck with the 512 stick that is in the imac already? I was planning on taking out the 512 and adding two gig sticks. Is this not possible? or am I stuck either buying a 1 gig stick to have 1.5gb or a 2gb stick and having 2.5gb? Thank you for the fast reply.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The 512 is built in, you cannot change it. THere is one open DDR-2 socket, which can take up to a 2 Gb module.

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

Apple's site has a ton of info about the new iMac. Try looking here

6. BEASTMAN thread starter macrumors member