Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FredeDK

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
You've already replaced a late 2015 5K? Maybe we're only picking up on it because it's so quiet otherwise?

It's almost like the airflow is "rough" it's not clicking like previously described by another poster, just a little rough sounding. I'm not sure how to describe it. Am I just being picky? 14 days is tomorrow, although I did buy Apple Care anyway.

Yeah, i did. But it had some other problems beside the noise.

I have it in a very quiet place, and i probably would not notice it otherwise. But i'm doing my studying in this room and the noise is annoying once you first learn its there, so i am gonna replace it.

Mine definitely have a clicking sound to it, when its worst. But i do think that even with a iMac that does not have any issues you would still be able to hear the airflow based on what i have read on this forum.

AnTaR3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
Happy to hear that! Can you please upload a clip of how your fan sounds at 1200rpm? Maybe behind or below the left side? Thanks!

So here is the requested clip for the new replacement:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16787607/Temp/nimac.m4a

I can definitely hear the airflow, but the fan seems to work as expected. Also, I have been playing a bit Starcraft II on OSX and Fallout 4 under Bootcamp and the fan never spun up to an annoying speed. I can only criticise 2 things with the new models over the 2012 one:

- Audible airflow (my 2012 model for completely silent in my environment)
- AMD GPU. Coming from the nVidia 680MX, I can now for the first time see why people want nVidia. I guess I will never see a driver update with the AMD cards, whereas for the 680MX I got regular updates and optimisations. Anyway, as soon as eGPUs are out, I am going go buy in these :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Panosher

Cliffy Biro

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
What I had on my machine sounded like the first clip you uploaded. Glad to hear it's gone in this one and we were not all just imagining things.

Mine isn't anywhere near as bad as that fortunately and I'm glad your new replacements are working fine / on the way :)

So can anyone else occasionally hear what I can only describe as a HDD access / seek noise faintly in the background? I'm in a fairly quiet room and I've spun the fans and it's not worse, so it appears to be something at 1200rpm. I'm stumped as to whether I need to return it or if this is normal airflow and in being picky o_O

Panosher

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
UK

I can definitely hear the airflow, but the fan seems to work as expected. Also, I have been playing a bit Starcraft II on OSX and Fallout 4 under Bootcamp and the fan never spun up to an annoying speed. I can only criticise 2 things with the new models over the 2012 one:

- AMD GPU. Coming from the nVidia 680MX, I can now for the first time see why people want nVidia. I guess I will never see a driver update with the AMD cards, whereas for the 680MX I got regular updates and optimisations. Anyway, as soon as eGPUs are out, I am going go buy in these :)

Awesome thanks! I am waiting for my replacement as well. Hope everything will be all right.

Torrin

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Norway
Lucky you who got their noise issues resolved by getting a replacement!

My replacement arrived today, but unfortunately it has the same ticking fan issue. :( It still sounds exactly like in AnTaR3s' first recording. The ticking is even a tad more pronounced on this machine. I have talked to Apple support and they want to take it in for engineering capture. It is now boxed up again, waiting to be picked up during the afternoon.

So while there seems to be a fair chance of getting a flawless fan right now, one cannot be sure...

@Andreas222: What is the status with yours? I understood it was also taken in for engineering capture. Have they given clearance to ship a replacement?

Torrin

Andreas222

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
Lucky you who got their noise issues resolved by getting a replacement!

My replacement arrived today, but unfortunately it has the same ticking fan issue. :( It still sounds exactly like in AnTaR3s' first recording. The ticking is even a tad more pronounced on this machine. I have talked to Apple support and they want to take it in for engineering capture. It is now boxed up again, waiting to be picked up during the afternoon.

So while there seems to be a fair chance of getting a flawless fan right now, one cannot be sure...

@Andreas222: What is the status with yours? I understood it was also taken in for engineering capture. Have they given clearance to ship a replacement?

Torrin

I wish I knew the status. I sent it in with dhl express last Tuesday and they got it two days later. The person I spoke with before I sent it in said they would send me a new one no matter what and that I would be without a computer for no more than a week. This Tuesday I spoke with them and they told me probably friday(today) but no later than monday. But I still haven't received any shipping notice or tracking number, so I don't see that happening. Last thing I heard was that it's being built and I would have it "soon". I'm so disappointed in how they've handled this. If I wasn't so invested in their ecosystem I'd tell them to keep the computer and give me a refund... Honestly, I might still do that...

FredeDK

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015

Is this recording from the back of the computer?

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Mine isn't anywhere near as bad as that fortunately and I'm glad your new replacements are working fine / on the way :)

So can anyone else occasionally hear what I can only describe as a HDD access / seek noise faintly in the background? I'm in a fairly quiet room and I've spun the fans and it's not worse, so it appears to be something at 1200rpm. I'm stumped as to whether I need to return it or if this is normal airflow and in being picky o_O
On my late '12 fusion, you can hear a slight "grumble" sound or the like when it starts to access the regular drive (WD drive) This is in a quiet room. Can also hear the airflow from the fan when the room is totally quiet.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Yes. As in the first recording, I held the iPhone close to the fan vents

Thanks for the clip and that's exactly what mine sounds like. So do you all think the audible airflow sound is normal for retina iMac? I'm debating either to return the iMac or just learn to live with it. The sound gets very annoying when trying to study in a quiet room, and it doesn't seem like exchange for another iMac will solve the issue.

Torrin

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Norway
I'm so disappointed in how they've handled this. If I wasn't so invested in their ecosystem I'd tell them to keep the computer and give me a refund... Honestly, I might still do that...

Yes, it is frustrating that they apparently have not managed to track down the problem yet (at least it is not communicated that the issue is confirmed). Given the possibility to do a tear down on one of the affected machines it should be a matter of minutes to isolate the problem. After all, this is not rocket science. I have no doubt it is the fan, most likely the bearings.

I am going to give it one more try now, but if the 2nd replacement also has issues I will definitely consider alternatives outside the Apple universe. Bought my first Apple IIe (hey, this did not have a fan at all! ;-) in ´83 and must admit that to me the "magic" is wearing off. Last time my enthusiasm got a significant damper was when they abandoned Apperture.

gille1981

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
I got it too. Late 2015 5k imac with 1tb fusion drive (r9 m390).

I bought it from a certified dealer and it has the fan noise sound. But I don't think it's the fan. I think it's the drive spinning (i'm not sure).

I returned it to the store and they said they couldn't help me, they said that the sound is normal.

I was mad so I called apple care (I have the extension). I had 2 very rude people telling me that I had to bring it to Brussels (137km from my house).

Really... I don't know what to do anymore. I want a quiet 5k imac, is this so hard to have????

AnTaR3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
I got it too. Late 2015 5k imac with 1tb fusion drive (r9 m390).

I bought it from a certified dealer and it has the fan noise sound. But I don't think it's the fan. I think it's the drive spinning (i'm not sure).

I returned it to the store and they said they couldn't help me, they said that the sound is normal.

I was mad so I called apple care (I have the extension). I had 2 very rude people telling me that I had to bring it to Brussels (137km from my house).

Really... I don't know what to do anymore. I want a quiet 5k imac, is this so hard to have????

I think in Europe you have the right to return your machine within a certain time frame regardless of whether it's broken or not. You don't have to state a reason. Ask the customer protection service in your country and return the machine to your local vendor if still possible. I think they have to take it back!

gille1981

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
I think in Europe you have the right to return your machine within a certain time frame regardless of whether it's broken or not. You don't have to state a reason. Ask the customer protection service in your country and return the machine to your local vendor if still possible. I think they have to take it back!

I know but they played me...

I returned it after 1 week (return timeframe = 14 days) and they kept it for a couple of days , then returned it with the note "there is nothing wrong with the sound" -> call apple. I called apple and they said : "deal with LAB9 (name of the vendor)". THEN Lab9 said "sorry, you are outside the 14 days return time frame, I cannot do anything for you".

I'm so mad :(

AnTaR3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
I know but they played me...

I returned it after 1 week (return timeframe = 14 days) and they kept it for a couple of days , then returned it with the note "there is nothing wrong with the sound" -> call apple. I called apple and they said : "deal with LAB9 (name of the vendor)". THEN Lab9 said "sorry, you are outside the 14 days return time frame, I cannot do anything for you".

I'm so mad :(

Bastards! Call the customer protection service and ask them what to do. I hope you have something like that in your country.

gille1981

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
I'm from Belgium, I will look at this but I don't have the courage of dealing with this anymore. Didn't expect this from Apple and certainly not from Lab9. Apple should know better. I have apple care, paid for it and it doesn't do me any good.

AnTaR3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
I'm from Belgium, I will look at this but I don't have the courage of dealing with this anymore. Didn't expect this from Apple and certainly not from Lab9. Apple should know better. I have apple care, paid for it and it doesn't do me any good.

Well, I think it's standard procedure to refer a customer to a local reseller in case of problems. I would call Apple again and tell them the story. I think Apple has a very fair way of handlich such cases.

gille1981

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think so. I called apple 2h ago. They told me to go to another service point to get a second opinion. The next service point is 50km away. I told apple about my story, about I bought apple care ... they won't even consider taking the imac back because Lab9 said there wasn't a sound problem. So my situation is permanent. I have a noisy 5k imac and I cannot do anything about it. Thanks anyway for the feedback. Appriciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.