New iMac VESA stand?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JW Pepper, Sep 1, 2004.

1. JW Pepper macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2002
    I nearly jumped with joy when I saw that I could use a VESA stand with bluetooth keyboard and mouse.....

Then I noticed that the iMac weighs 25lbs - I can't find a desk mount VESA stand that will ballance that weight. They are all made for LCD screens which typically weigh 8-15lbs.

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    Modern Art Installation

The iMac offers the smallest footprint ever, but you can make that zero with an optional VESA mount. Hang it from the wall or swing it around on your desk. (Coming soon to the Apple store.)

i would suggest waiting until apple releases it. if you are really motivated, make your own?
  3. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    the new imac already has virtually zero footprint, because you can hide the stand below your keyboard. i don't see any benefit from custom mounting.
  4. JW Pepper thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2002
    Well Mr Freak,

I would like to be able to swivel it out of the way and adjust the height. I can see a lot of benefit and I would be willing to pay for it.
  5. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    iMac G5 VESA Mount Adapter Kit

Allows iMac G5 to be used with VESA compliant mounting solutions such as wall mounts and articulating arms.

The iMac G5 VESA Mount Adapter allows your iMac G5 computer to be used with a variety of alternate mounting solutions such as wall mounts and zero footprint articulating arms based on the VESA flat panel mounting interface (FPMI). The new iMac G5 family features a removable desktopfoot. iMac G5 VESA Mount Adapter Kit contains a tool that allows you to remove the system foot and to attach the VESA Mount Adapter to the computer. The iMac G5 is now ready to attach to any VESA compliant mounting solution that has a 100mm x 100 mm attachment.

The iMac G5 line with the VESA mount adapter attached complies with the VESA MIS-D, 100, C version of the specification.

Attached Files:

6. aphexist macrumors member

Aug 29, 2003
    Ergotron ( has a wide selection of excellent flat panel mounting solutions. I personally use their extended 300 series arms with a pair of 21" panels, but the site says they are only rated to 23lbs. Therefore, if you wanted to mount the 20" iMac, you might try one of the Fixed Height or "Heavy Duty" arms listed that go up to 45lbs. Any of the arms could be used with the lighter 17" iMac (18.5 lbs).

Nevertheless, I can vouch for the quality of these arms, compared to some other arms that I have tried.