New iMac vs. new low-end PowerMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Le Big Mac, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    So I'm a buyer on the fence. The sensible choices for me are the newest iMac (top end) or the low-end PowerMac (1GHz single). The way I add it up, the iMac is $1799 (plus other options) and the PowerMac (with 80GB drive and Superdrive, to compare with iMac) is $1725, plus a monitor ($700). You also get the L3 cache on the PowerMac, as well as FW 800.

I'm thinking that the $625 difference is a lot for FW 800 and the L3 cache, even with better expandability. Am I crazy to choose the PowerMac?:confused:
  2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    The powermac supports upgrade cards, upgrade processor, holds more RAM I believe, and you can get a bigger monitor later. The iMac is a great machine if you value aesthetics and space saving over speed and upgradability. The iMac also has a 17" Widescreen, and the lowest Apple LCD is a 17" Studio, 4:3 aspect ratio.

I would get the Powermac, but that is because I have one, use PCI slots, and like to upgrade (IE Video card)

Either way, you'll have a 1GHZ mac and a superdrive.
  3. occam macrumors member

Jan 18, 2003
    Other powermac notes

I would not recommend the single CPU PowerMac. For $400 more, you get a dual cpu PM with 2.5x processing power.

You can think of the screen as a reusable item as well, since the iMac screen is built in. So the PM has a slight advantage there. You can also run the PM dual screen if you like. I don't think the iMac does that.

If you don't need the performance, or need the smaller form factor, or need a quieter machine, or are quite price sensitive, buy the iMac (those are all good reasons). Otherwise, if you need performance, upgradability, better graphics power, buy PM.

Good luck!
  4. occam macrumors member

Jan 18, 2003
    To clarify, I said $400 even though the price difference on between 1st and 2nd PM's appears to be $500. $100 of the 2nd one goes to h/d and video card upgrade (probably both worthwhile), but the actual differential is then $400 for that .25MHz CPU speed upgrade and second CPU (for resulting 1GHz versus 2.5GHz comparison).
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Re: New iMac vs. new low-end PowerMac

I like what occam said, but i noticed you did not mention what you are going to use it for?I really like the new imac but since i have a pm800 i think i will wait for the next upgrade to that or the powermac line.L3 and fw 800 are nice but who even needs fw800 right now?If you think you will need expansion/et/etc then powermac though i like the mid unit.If its just a consumer machine and you are not concerned about DOOM3 then the imac 1 giger should be all you will need and should be able to handle anything you throw at it.