Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
i am in a bit of a dilemmma at the moment, with the imacs and powermacs recently being updated i dont know which to seriously consider. i am debating between the mid range imac (17" 2.0 ghz superdrive) and the dual 2.0 ghz powermac. I have read enough threads to know that powermacs are for power users and high end video and photoshop etc. The only reason i consider the powermac is because of the expandability via pci and the dual processing power. I like the imac with its all inclusive design, now included airport and BT as well as the DL superdrive. The computer itself would be used for occasinal gaming (MOH, COD, BF1942, Halo and others), Schoolwork (office, pages, net browsing), ilife (itunes, iphoto, occasional imovie/idvd and rare (but increasing) garageband) and occasional dabbling around with pro apps. I am a college student here and i am looking to get the most bang for my buck, but not overspend. By the way this will be a second computer to supplement my 1.5 ghz 15 inch powerbooks portability with some more power. Thanks in advance.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
A side benefit of a PowerMac is you can share the external display with the PowerBook during those times it would be a benefit. With a switchbox.

The duals are usefull even if you are not a power user, since the OS does a good job of spreading the load around to both CPUs -- you just won't have many instances of a single app using both processors to crunch stuff at the same time.

Reality is you probably will add memory, a second HD, and may even debate upgrading the graphics card at some point (which seems to be an important ability with the core video stuff.)

Though the PCI cards probably wouldn't come into play too often, unless you still have the machine during the next round of USB and FW updates.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
So ur sayin powermac all the way

Sun Baked said:
A side benefit of a PowerMac is you can share the external display with the PowerBook during those times it would be a benefit. With a switchbox.

The duals are usefull even if you are not a power user, since the OS does a good job of spreading the load around to both CPUs -- you just won't have many instances of a single app using both processors to crunch stuff at the same time.

Reality is you probably will add memory, a second HD, and may even debate upgrading the graphics card at some point (which seems to be an important ability with the core video stuff.)

Though the PCI cards probably wouldn't come into play too often, unless you still have the machine during the next round of USB and FW updates.

So it seems you say go with the powermac for sure, even though the price diff is like about 500$. With the stuff im doing will i need the other processor and i would also have to get a display to go with the powermac, most likely not an apple one ($$) but a display nonetheless. i wouldnt have to do that in the case of the imac.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The dual 2.0GHz PowerMac is $1999 (non-edu price of course) and requires a separate monitor. 17-inch monitors are very cheap, but I suspect you're after a 20-inch at least. Anyway, consider $270 for a good 17-inch LCD and $500 for the brilliant 20-inch Dell 2005FPW. That puts the bill between $2270 and $2500.

The 2.0GHz iMac 17-inch is $1499. No extra monitor required. The 20-inch iMac is $1799. Both iMacs take up only the space of the LCD and are far more portable for shuffling between home and dorm. With the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, you also have less cable clutter. The only drawback is the comparative lack of upgradability, but you do get Firewire-400 and USB 2.0.

If I were a college student today with the computational requirements you listed, I would choose the 20-inch iMac for $1799 minus educational discount and use the $400-$700 savings on other things. Since you've got a great PowerBook, you've already got the software you need, so this savings can just be money in your pocket.

The current PowerMacs are probably the last of their kind, with an updated architecture and dual-core CPUs coming by year's end or early next. The new iMac, however, with all the Rev B updates, is really a very good value (despite the captive ATI 9600). That's the one I would recommend.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
TheMasin9 said:
So it seems you say go with the powermac for sure, even though the price diff is like about 500$. With the stuff im doing will i need the other processor and i would also have to get a display to go with the powermac, most likely not an apple one ($$) but a display nonetheless. i wouldnt have to do that in the case of the imac.
No I would say watch the refurb section and the sales/promos to see which grabs you...

If you can grab a 25%-35% deal on a PowerMac -- go for it.

But if you are trying to save money, buy an iMac.

If you are a starving college student, buy and external monitor, HD, keyboard and mouse and keep the rest of the money -- you'll eventually need it.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I still think it's amazing that soo many new college students on here want TWO computers in their dorm room. I don't know if you've seen one, but they are tiny with very little desk space. Personally, with the type of laptop you have, that has more then enough power to do most of the things you want. Bringing another computer to school will just increase the risk of something breaking or getting stolen, and personally, I would find it a little weird to see someone with two computers in their room. Most people barely get one. This is my senior year and I've never seen anyone with two computers in their dorm room.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
wwooden said:
This is my senior year and I've never seen anyone with two computers in their dorm room.

. . . apparently you dont know any CSE majors, or well, most engineering majors for that matter, and probably a lot of graphic design majors. if you knew more, then you would know people with two (or more) computers! i have had 3 as the most in my room at once, though usually its only 2, my PB and a windows box. the most i have ever seen in one dorm room (belonging to one individual, not including the roommate) was 4 computers! hooked up to two monitors (crts at that, so not much room to move around!)

anyway. . . on topic. . . id go for the iMac because it is a better deal than the power mac. (just wait until you hear my od reasoning for that) i would have reccomended the single PM, but if you look at the price of it, and what you get, it is the same price as the iMac, but you get a lot more with the iMac, like an included monitor, better video card, more ram etc. so since the iMac is a better value, go for it. it will be a good computer for years to come!

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
wwooden said:
I still think it's amazing that soo many new college students on here want TWO computers in their dorm room. I don't know if you've seen one, but they are tiny with very little desk space. Personally, with the type of laptop you have, that has more then enough power to do most of the things you want. Bringing another computer to school will just increase the risk of something breaking or getting stolen, and personally, I would find it a little weird to see someone with two computers in their room. Most people barely get one. This is my senior year and I've never seen anyone with two computers in their dorm room.
It's all about priorities, my friend. I had three computers in my dorm room in college (17x10) and my roommate only had two and everyone in the hall made fun of him for being a half-assed college student with only two.

I had a Powermac 6500 (with Orangemicro PC card with 200MHz Pentium CPU), a PentiumII 400MHz game machine, and a Celeron 300A overclocking/test machine/toy.

That and computer cases are a great place to hide contraban from RA's and the like.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
topgunn said:
It's all about priorities, my friend. I had three computers in my dorm room in college (17x10) and my roommate only had two and everyone in the hall made fun of him for being a half-assed college student with only two.

I had a Powermac 6500 (with Orangemicro PC card with 200MHz Pentium CPU), a PentiumII 400MHz game machine, and a Celeron 300A overclocking/test machine/toy.

That and computer cases are a great place to hide contraban from RA's and the like.

I think having a collection of older computers is different then having two basically brand new computers in a dorm room. The original poster already have a really nice laptop, to me, it just seems a waste to have another that wouldn't be that much of an improvement.

For wPod, I am actually in the Mechanical Engineering school at UVM. It's just that most of the people here do their computer stuff (matlab, java, SolidWorks) in the labs. I certainly can't afford SolidWorks and have no interest in having a PC and have had no problems working in the labs because there are usually other people working on the same project.

P.S. - this is m 400th post, I'm 4/5 of the way to an avator!

jonner

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
nice to have

Sure an extra computer would be nice to have, but given a students' budget with the wish simply for "some more power" it seems a reality check is in order. I have 12inch 1.33mhz mainly for studio mx 2004. Best bang for buck is to wait 12 to 18 months for really great upgrades of macs.

I find using a crt, usb keyboard and wacom tablet especially a great help with my powerbook. Perhaps purchasing some time saving/handy peripherals better use of money for now? How you can justify the money with vague "for some more power" I don't know. So which is best - maybe neither, wait for 12 to 18 months. Resist the temptation.... you might be soooorry

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
wwooden said:
I think having a collection of older computers is different then having two basically brand new computers in a dorm room. The original poster already have a really nice laptop, to me, it just seems a waste to have another that wouldn't be that much of an improvement.

For wPod, I am actually in the Mechanical Engineering school at UVM. It's just that most of the people here do their computer stuff (matlab, java, SolidWorks) in the labs. I certainly can't afford SolidWorks and have no interest in having a PC and have had no problems working in the labs because there are usually other people working on the same project.

They weren't older at the time.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
wwooden said:
The original poster already have a really nice laptop, to me, it just seems a waste to have another that wouldn't be that much of an improvement.

I agree that his computer is good, but having a dual G5 is significantly faster than a single G4. I've seen benchmarks where the Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac, compresses video nearly 3 times faster than a 1.5 G4 ...

BTW, I just made it to 300 posts, so I'm 3/5 of the way to an avatar. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.