new iMac with WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by delmo, May 11, 2005.

1. delmo macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2005
    Sorry to add to the many "how is the new iMac" posts but I have a question that I have not found answered anywhere directly.

Has anyone with the new iMac, specially the 17" inch 2.0 GHz model, tried World of Warcraft?

While I know that much older machines will run WoW (i am running in on a iBook G3 900 mHz), I want to know does WoW run not just well, but fantastic on the new iMac? I am hoping that I can run full graphic settings with the new iMac as the new graphics card should be more than enough. :D

Main reason is that I am looking to upgrade myself and WoW is one of the main reasons, I am sick of my computer locking up in crucial battles when more than 5 people are involved. I could go a PowerMac but an iMac is just much more affordable and practical.

Thanks for any info, and let me know about Doom 3 too if anyone has tried that ;)
  2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I don't have any first hand experience with the new imac, but I'd expect it to run WoW just fine. Given the fact that Blizzard is one of the only game companies that can write efficient mac code, WoW performance is comparable to a similarly spec'd PC. My gaming PC has a 2 GHz 64-bit proc. and the X800 Pro. I run Wow at 1280x1024 with gfx options maxed out just fine.

If the imac can't run it with the gfx turned all the way up, don't fret. There isn't a huge difference between medium and high. It looks great either way. Besides, the gfx in WoW are all about art-direction anyway, not textures or HDR lighting.

Doom, on the other hand, will not run as smoothly. It's a port, not a game coded specifically for mac from the start. Just buy the xbox version. (It's not a great game, btw. Aside from the final boss, the game gets boring after the 3rd level. HL2, in contrast, is incredible...)
  3. delmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2005
    I agree about Doom 3, the game part is not so amazing, but it is an excellent benchmark in terms of graphics. I really look forward to the games being made from the Doom 3D engine.

But are there no new iMac owners playing WoW? Probably they are all too busy playing to comment :p
  4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    macs aren't for games. if you aren't happy with your mac's performance, an imac won't do anything for you. get a PC if you want performance.

im so sick of how pathetically both of my macs run WoW, and the game is actually coded for macs too.
  5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    World of Warcraft should perform really well on the new models, I wouldn't worry about performance issues. Just bump up the ram to 1gb, and you should be good to go.
  6. jkaz macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2004
    Upper Mid West
    after the latest imac's were released, i immediately began considering a purchase.

the 128mb vid card (i'm no vid card expert) sounded like the last barrier was broken.

i decided that i should ask the question as to whether or not this vid card would be strong for wow.

i looked around and eventually decided that if i didn't hear any ravings, i didn't, that it wasn't going to be an 'excellent' vid card for wow.

that logic may or may not have been correct.

what i would like to see is the next revision imac having at least a bto vid card that is 'enviable' for fps gaming.

but to the original post, does anyone have an update on the latest imac wow performance?

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    WoW runs nicely on my RevA iMac w/ the 5200/64mb GPU. It will run very well on the new iMacs I am sure. Of my PC friends who play WoW, one of them has a 9600/128mb card, and it runs great on his system.

Just wish I had been able to wait 2 more months or so when I bought my iMac, but I s'pose that's always the case!
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    my rev A 1.8 SP G5 tower with 1.5 GB RAM and 64 MB radeon 9600 runs WoW extremely well. With the settings all turned up its runs flawlessly - except in ironforge, and I've heard that is server side, i.e. it doesn't matter how good your computer is.
  9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    What resolution you running at?
  10. SurfAddict macrumors member

Feb 7, 2005
    I run it flawlessly on my 17" PB with max settings and 1440x900 resolution....see sig for details