New iMac won't connect to the Internet, but will connect to network.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iTnetennba, Jan 16, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a 3 week old 2012 27-inch iMac and this morning I turned it on and it wouldn't connect to the internet. It connected to my home network just fine, just not the internet. I assumed it was my router's fault, but every other device in the house connected to the internet just fine. I have already tried turning it off and on again, many times, as with my router. I have also tried turning the Wi-Fi off and on in System Preferences. Any help?

2. macrumors 6502

when you look at your network info under utilities does the ip assigned to wifi look to be in the same range as your other devices?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

If I understand you correctly, then yes. Only the last number in the IPv4 address change from device to device.

4. macrumors 6502

Yep that's right ok one more test, on the machine that is not working go into network utils and try to ping www.google.com if it says it cant find it then put in this IP 8.8.8.8 (a google IP) and try to ping that, this will tell us if it's a route issue or a dns issue.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

When doing a ping on google.com it couldn't resolve the hostname.
    When doing a ping on 8.8.8.8 it displayed this:

Code:
    Ping has started…

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 6
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

6. macrumors newbie

From your post, I am assuming you are trying to connect wirelessly? Have you tried with an ethernet cable? How well did internet work before this started happening?

If it works when connected with a cable, I would look for software updates. You may want to try flushing your DNS cache as well (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5343)

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

I am connecting wirelessly. My router is in the other room, and there is no phone port in the room with the iMac. I will do this later, as it is kind of a hassle to move it, (sorry).
    My internet worked absolutely rubbish before, but that's nothing to do with the iMac, it's the fact that I get 0.3Mbps down on average where I live...

8. macrumors 6502

any updates on this?

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, this is old. I called up Apple, who told me to reinstall OS X. Fixed and typing on the machine right now!