new iMac

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by beez7777, Aug 16, 2002.

1. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

I would like to buy a 17" iMac, within a few weeks, but i was wondering if i should wait until MWSF for possibly a 1ghz model, or even a 19". Athlough the 17 would do just fine, i dont wanna feel jacked spendin $2000 and then having apple release either of these. Any help on when they might bring it up to 1ghz, or what anyone thinks i should do would be great:)

2. Captnroger macrumors regular

One thing is certain in this industry...if you wait long enough, something better will come along.

Having said that, I seriously doubt you'll see a 19" 1ghz imac at MWSF. Not less than 4 months after introducing the 19" model. Early 02, yep, maybe.

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I don't think the iMac will be updated at MWSF since it was one of the spotlights of MWNY. Think sometime near then...say a month or so after. Also, I don't think they'll go for a 19" screen anytime soon. Finally, 1GHz is possible, but don't expect it for a couple of months. Sorry, but I have no idea when they'll go to 1GHz in the consumer models...I think after the powerbook gets to 1 GHz though. They're pro lines should be faster than the consumer lines...thats not always the case right now. But then again, desktops should be faster than laptops...so I guess I'm confusing you.

Ok, no updates at MWSF, but could be a month or so after.
    NO 19" in the reasonable future. (A year or so)
    1 GHz will show up at the next update...which could be a soon as november, or as late as february, IMHO.
    Even though you didn't mention it, I don't thnk G5 will be in the iMac until the end of next year...that is if they release the G5 next year.

I MAY BE WRONG. But its seems reasonable enough.;)

4. djniche macrumors regular

the 17" was just introduced. I would say we are looking at early next year for speed bumps on the imacs. i really doubt we'll see a 19" imac... I would say we'll see 19" LCD to go along with the 23" HD displays.

I think you will be very happy with your 17" imac. I am and the space is pretty close to the 19" space. Very confortable to work with with most applications.
    so i say go for it.

Technology gets updated so fast that regardless when you get a model the better model is coming up. but remember you are getting a 800mhz, 80gigs, and superdrive for 2k along with the excellent 17" display. You really can't beat that package.

5. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I know the feeling! I have been thinking about getting an iMac since they came out. (However a new car came first, so the new Mac will have to wait a bit longer...)

I have started looking at the low end PowerMac & 17" display as a possible alternitive. I would like a DVD-R, but probably don't need it right away. I could pick up an external later on for a reasonable price (and when I could afford it) and have a more flexable system for a bit more (~$500US) money. Aside from the DVD-R and maybe a bit of memory, the dual 867 would suit me just fine...

Not sure what I will end up doing, though.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: new iMac

Just buy it.

It just came out. The longer you wait, the less time you'll actually have to use it.

I personally don't expect a 19" iMac from Apple for years, if ever.

arn

7. djniche macrumors regular

I was thinking about this actually... the low end powermac is more powerful, has newer technology, and upgradable. It's $300 cheaper than the 17" imac but has no DVDR and no screen. So It really depends if you need to upgrade in the future. I think both are good deals for their price.

The 17" imac screen is just excellent but can you imagine that dual 867 with jaguar and the 22 cinema display.

8. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Last time I bought a computer (almost 3 years ago), I got impatient and ended up buying one that was too expensive (for what I got with it) and went obsolete real quick. Now I hate it! I wish I would've of waited a little longer and got the system I really wanted for a better value. But ah well. . . times are definitely changing, as I never considered buying a Mac until just recently. Now I'm going to wait until later this year to see if any performance updates to the iMac come about before I buy.

beez7777, my advice to you is to wait a little longer and see if the iMac gets a much needed update, and in the meantime you can think about what you really want and how you want to spend your money. If you don't, you will most likely regret it later. Usually the best time to buy is as soon the machine gets an upgrade in performance; then it is less likely to become obsolete so quickly because there usually won't be another update for many months.

That's my $0.02. ;)

9. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I think if you wait to MWSF you might start hearing another set of rumors about imac upgrades and be in another dilemma about having to either buy now or wait a couple more months.

19" is quite a ways down the road so you're best off just buying it now.

10. makkystyle macrumors regular

no luck

Don't think we will ever see 19" iMacs. There is no precedent for it and they want to keep people moving up to the next line (PowerMacs) if they want that kind of upgrade. I think powerbooks will be updated in october and shortly after, possibly for the holidays, you may see iMacs bumped up also.

11. beez7777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Thanks everyone, i appreciate it. I'll probably wait a month or so, maybe mid sept. just incase any speed bumps are introduced. I was also lookin at the low end power mac, but it'll come out more expensive with the 17", and i dont really need the upgradeability. The iMac gives me a nice package for a reasonable price, so ill go with that.:D

12. backspinner macrumors 6502a

If you have a working computer (mac) right now, wait if you like. If not, buy soon. You will be able to use it in the time you otherwise would wait so it will be worth part of the money already. The iMac 17" is a very nice machine well spent the money on I think and it is not behind in specs.

All new computers get old, but not immediately long in the thooth. Always you will hear rumors, for example just now they released new powermacs and lots of people are rumoring about updates already!

13. beez7777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beez7777

yeah i can, just that that type of machine is just a little over my budget, like say 2000 dollars:D

14. goglamosh macrumors member

i just ordered the 17" iMac (first mac purchase). go with the 17". i looked at the Power Mac and 17" Studio, but in the end, the iMac is just a better value.

15. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

ya its a good value, but its not that good if you want to do lots of upgrading n such (ie adding on hard drives/up to 2 gigs of ram) but awesome for if you just need an awesome puter with an awesome screen for a good price since the screen is probably atleast 1 grand on its own (CDN)

16. beez7777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Yeah, this will be my first mac purchase, and again, i dont think im gonna need the upgradeability of the power mac, just a nice macintosh to get me started.dont think ill be doing any hardcore video editing, maybe light photoshop, just playin around, but thats about it. i've been wanting the iMac since their release early this year, and the 17" just made it that much nicer. It is a great deal:D

17. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

get it already! :)

arn

18. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I second that order :D
    Get it and enjoy it now...don't look back;)

It'll be years before I get an iMac...the bright side is I'll get a pb.:D

19. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Don't listen to 'em beez! Think smart, save up your money, wait for a speed bump. You will be glad you did! :D

20. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

i'm good friends with beez7777,so to you i say...

damn it billy sal, just buy it already. forget what i keep telling you and freakin' buy it.

wanna sleep over?