New iMacs and Recording: your thoughts

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by thumper, Aug 9, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

thumper

are the new iMacs good machines for recording???
    (protools & logic)

right now i use a 1.33 g4 powerbook with an Mbox,
    and i ALWAYS get CPU & USB errors.

would the entry level imac diminish these errors??
    or is the powermac more what i should be getting??

2. macrumors 68040

Killyp

The iMac would be perfect for your needs. Some say the MacPro is better, but most people would never push an iMac to the degree that they feel a need to ugprade.

Having used the new iMac today, for an extended period, I can really recommend it as a great machine, the build quality, performance and design is absolutely fantastic, unlike any other machine I've seen.

It seems almost like more of a pro machine when you look at the performance and build quality/design. Like a MacPro, in one box.

3. macrumors regular

The only thing I'd be concerned with the iMac for recording is the FW bus.
    For a lot of Daw (Digital Audio Workstations) not only is FW used for extra HD's but for the sound-card as well.
    You'll want an extra HD for the audio files, then a dedicated sound-card.
    So the jury is still out as to whether the 2 FW ports share the same bus on the new iMac's. If they don't, spec wise they'd rawk for a Daw. 4 Gigs of ram is great, as well as adding a second screen is cool.
    I use a Mac Pro 2.66 model with 5 gigs of ram, but the most important for me is having 4 Hd's inside one machine.
    I have a ton of CPU power left doing my song-writing, for the first time I'm not worrying about the computer keeping up with me. :D
    Just the FW bus would be my only slight concern which may be ok.
    I guess you can do Usb 2 Hd's but they don't do as well for audio as Fw does.

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

why? have you maxed out the firewire bus? how many tracks did it take, and at what sample rate?