Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
damn, i want a 2.0 imac now, but i only recently got a mini and was planning on a 23" hd display for it.

now i have to think really hard now - do i want a giant screened G4 or smaller screened 20" g5

the price is almost i denticle too ARGGGGHHH.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
lifeboy001 said:
as of 9:08am EST, I've switched...now the wait for delivery begins...

Out with the old:
Homebuilt Athlon 1100mhz with XP, 256 PC133, 250+160+120+80+30 gigs internal/external, GeForce2/Matrox 3-monitor setup, wires everywhere

In with the new:
iMac G5 2.0ghz + bluetooth and airtunes, finally no wires....

Congratulations, and welcome to the family.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
JRM PowerPod said:
Seems as if the 9600 is the new 5200Ultra

Indeed, it even seems as if Radeon 9600/64MB is the new low-end and Radeon 9600/128MB is the new middle-end (or top-end of consumer models).

Next Mac mini and iBook revisions with Radeon 9600/64MB anyone?! :eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Very nice specs on the new machine - and blue tooth and wireless are standard, so its even less expensive than the $100 price difference on the 20".

I'll be picking one up tomorrow. :D

D

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
Josh396 said:
Now I know the 9600 is a much better card then the 5200 and I'm not complaining but I was wondering how good it really is. Could this card last for 3 or 4 years and be able to play games at that point in time? I know it's hard to predict where exactly games will be at in the future but my current iMac that I got 4 years ago isn't even able to play CODUO. Just curious.
Games in 3 to 4 years probably won't be playable on the iMac. Game development just goes fast. 4 years ago people had radeon 7000 and geforce 4's. You just have to keep up. This new mac can let you play doom3 the wayt it was ment to be played (1024x768 high), but the next generation of doom-like games will be only possible on lowest settings or unplayable even.
aaa said:
I don't know a lot about grfx cards but how good are the 9600's?
They are a lot better than the FX5200. To quote another post of my:

Doom3 performance just went op with 50%. see:

http://www.macologist.org/viewtopic.php?t=1104

PM G5/2.0 R9600XT: 18.2 (24.8)
iM G5/1.8 FX5200 : 12.1 (16.9)

(1024x768 high)

That is quite a difference

Granted the Powermac is dual core (although it wouldn't matter much) and the pmac has a higher bus + dual channel memory (maybe imac can get dual channel as wel when adding ram in pairs. Also the PowerMac has a radeon XT, but apple underclocks the cards anyway so type extensions mean bogus.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'm really psyched about the update.

I was planning on getting my partner one in June for his birthday anyway, but it is nice to finally see an update that makes most everyone go WOW!

Thanks, Apple.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Wow... I think these new iMac's are the first machines I've ever seen at Apple that I have no desire to upgrade anything on them immediately... I mean... yeah I would probably put more RAM in them but it's not necessary right away. I might consider more HD space if I had the money but I really don't need that either (I am only using 40 of my 100 gigs right now)...

And well... there's really nothing else to upgrade... :)

It's just nice that the base price is actually a realistic price and not a "lure you in until you see the real price with all the stuff you really need"...

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
iGary said:
Very, very, very nice update.

Talk about bang for the buck - especially the 20"

Yeah, I'd say value all around. The low-end is also impressive, even compared to the previous version. More speed, bigger HD, built in BT and Airport, more memory. Talk about a great starter machine.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Bear said:
The 56K Modem is useful for faxing. And not everyone has access ro ADSl yet in the US (and other countries.)

Also, depending on the ADSL provider is what format ADSL modem/adapter you would need - there are at least 2 or 3 standards in use in the US alone, never mind the rest of the world might be using. It's not a can of worms that a computer manufacturer wants to get into. And what happens if someone moves and they have to switch providers to one using a different standard?

The problem is paying $40 a month just for the sake of having an active phone line for faxing... I use my cell for everything else... I wonder, is there a way to get faxes thru a cell phone?

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
lifeboy001 said:
as of 9:08am EST, I've switched...now the wait for delivery begins...

Out with the old:
Homebuilt Athlon 1100mhz with XP, 256 PC133, 250+160+120+80+30 gigs internal/external, GeForce2/Matrox 3-monitor setup, wires everywhere

In with the new:
iMac G5 2.0ghz + bluetooth and airtunes, finally no wires....

Welcome! :D

Only a few more million like you and we can have that lame dog Microsoft put down. :D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
When the new iMac outshines the PowerMac that you bought a couple of years ago which once was the fastest and biggest gun in the west...

Yes that is the only thing that is sad with the rapid devlopment of computers..........buy a brand new dual PM now and next year you will not even be able to play videoes a full res even :rolleyes:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
G.Kirby said:
Welcome! :D

Only a few more million like you and we can have that lame dog Microsoft put down. :D

Between Apple and Linux/BSD switchers, it might happen sooner than we think.

It will be more difficult in the business world, but once a few suits buy Macs for home and get used to "it just works", they might want to do a company-wide switch.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
G.Kirby said:
Yup. The eMacs have had a few updates to which is cool for schools, but the price has also gone up which is a bummer. However, for what you are getting they are still as cheap as chips.
:D

I'm not sure but I think the Canadian prices have actually gone down for the new eMacs.

Edit: Nope. I just checked my apple.ca folder and the prices are the same as before.

Jawbreaker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
New Haven, CT
Great updates! I was thinking I would trick out the middle model, but thanks to the price cut and the wireless options being standard, I could afford the 20", sweet!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Sunrunner said:
The problem is paying $40 a month just for the sake of having an active phone line for faxing... I use my cell for everything else... I wonder, is there a way to get faxes thru a cell phone?

You need to have an active phone line to get DSL... (with Bell Canada anyway).

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
me very jealous :( i just got my poor 1.6Ghz back in March. I could not wait as I had no desktop since my main one bit the dust.

oh boy, these updates are so much better than the PowerMacs. If you are buying one you are lucky. They did good on this update. so sad for me....

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Really nice to see bigger hard drives, more RAM, BT and AE built in but no price increase. But I think Apple will still make more $/unit since LCD prices have dropped significantly since Rev. A.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Just Ordered the 20"

Just One Clicked the real NEW 20" iMac! Ordered with the single DIMM 512 and will add a 1 GB stick later. Great update and I am really glad I waited for the update. Great move by Apple...this is a killer package at a great price!

BTW...also got the BT mouse and keyboard and AppleCare.

No more rumors to read...feels great :D

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Yvan256 said:
I'm not sure but I think the Canadian prices have actually gone down for the new eMacs.

Edit: Nope. I just checked my apple.ca folder and the prices are the same as before.

They did go down for the iMac's that's for sure. Yesterday the middle of the ine education model was $1749, today its $1725 with all the great upgrades! The 20" saw a rather nice price drop as well

cosmoed

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Is it faster to go through the store instead of online?

I know I am asking a lot of ?'s but I am excited. :D

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
Pow pow.

Ordering base model 17" with bt keyboard and mouse tomorrow.

it's nearing midnight, time for sleep ... but when I wake up ... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.