new iMacs- buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sotofish, Nov 15, 2004.

1. sotofish macrumors member

Dec 28, 2003
    Riverside, Ca
    My wife and I have been using her old 350mhz iMac at home and it seems to be getting slower and way more buggy lately. She uses it for school and it's been freezing up when doing simple things like spellchecking papers.
    I want to get her the new 20" iMac but heard something about how it has some "problems". What are these problems, and is Apple still shipping new ones with these problems? Should I go for it now or wait a while?
    Thanks for any advice.
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Well, you never hear about people creating threads telling you how much they like their new iMac 20" and that it is problem free. OK, consider this one.

Sure, there have been reported problems but the vast majority have none. I say go for it. I absolutely love mine. BTW, I cane from a 600 MHz G3 iMac.
  3. ebook macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    I am one that had problems with my 20" G5 iMac. The issue was with the fans running close to full bore all of the time. They tried a couple of repairs (well, I did replacements) that didn't work and then I asked them to send me a new computer. I am having to wait awhile for my replacement, but Apple is taking care of me in the interm (512 mb stick of ram/20 gig iPod). All in all even with my exprience I would say that if you feel like you would like a new computer now...go ahead and get it!
  4. HydroMan macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2004
    Luton. Lutonshire.
    Like rdowns says you never see a thread about luvin' your iMac , but all I can say is the "risk?" is minimal out of the thousands sold a very small percentange have problems, I had (still have) a G3 400 iMac and had simillar problems to you until I got a hold of my G5 20 " its a dream, superb for the non pro, I could go on and on about the power and ease of use, but I haven't got the time (still getting used to OSX!) all I can say is you would be stupid to wait and for what?, all new things are prone to failure - vcr's, cd's, dvd's, tv's, refridgeraters etc..etc..., all I'm saying is BITE THE BULLET and buy one (get applecare, I did) you will be seriously impressed, for me it was like having impaired vision and waking up one day with 20/20! I s*it you not, I can't believe I've put up with my old iMac continually freezing and having to reboot, now I just force quit the offending app :) not that restarting is a bind, its all a breeze and the 20" is excellent for viewing 2 pages side by side, everything is easier believe me.
    I waited 70 days for my iMac and it was worth it!

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2004
    The Great White North
    Lovin' my iMac G5...

No problems...
    Massive screen (for non-professional users)...
    Physical desktop way less cluttered...

iMac heaven!
  6. pcpacker macrumors member

Sep 28, 2004
    I have had my iMac 20" for a week now. It is beautiful. It is quiet, easy to use, etc. I have had mail shut down for no reason, but that was it. I have had to force quit iTunes a few times, but I have decided that it was because of the CD I was importing. It had a scratch that was rather significant (didn't cause a problem in a boom box, however).

Buy the thing. It is awesome (I am a new mac user).