Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
OK, time to start the inevitable thread... Shipping delays on all apple sites, and discounts at the retailers indicate... new iMacs soon????!!!???!!

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
amazon has a rebate also now on iMacs.... the writing is in the sand???

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Don't hold your breath. It's coming, but it probably won't come until after PowerMacs are updated, so start talking then.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe... You'd think they'd update the eMacs first though. And if they do, they're unlikely to update the iMacs for a while after, it'd take the 'new' shine off both.

Fingers crossed for an eMac with the 1.42 GHz processor and faster RAM.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
iMacs are here soon 1-3 weeks ipods are on the way as well

1.8 /2.0/2.2 iMacs
5/6Gb Ipod Mini's
20/40/80 Gb iPod Photo's (aka 5th gen iPod )

well could not contain myself anymore 500 POST's wooohooooo

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
liketom said:
iMacs are here soon 1-3 weeks ipods are on the way as well

1.8 /2.0/2.2 iMacs
5/6Gb Ipod Mini's
20/40/80 Gb iPod Photo's (aka 5th gen iPod )

well could not contain myself anymore 500 POST's wooohooooo

Congrats on the 500 posts! :D

Have you got any info to back this up or are these guesses? I honestly can't see the business case for upgrading them now. Then again, hopefully I'll be proved wrong. :p

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Chaszmyr said:
Don't hold your breath. It's coming, but it probably won't come until after PowerMacs are updated, so start talking then.

since i'm bored and have the coice to either shovel my driveway or post on MR:

why does everybody think there is some elaborate scheme to update products depending on three other different productlines?
can't they just update one line whenever the cpu's are available?

is there any marketing pro here who knows how this updates are usually done in the computer industry?

andi

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I don't think there's a well-defined elaborate scheme to update products, but there has to be coherence. I think Apple understands that they get burned if the product matrix becomes incoherent. The old iMacs didn't do so well when the eMacs were as good as or more powerful than they were, and smart shoppers realizes the difference was all LCD and style. Powerbooks suffered when they weren't much better than the iBooks. The iMac and Powermac are not as direct substitutes, but still they can't be allowed to cross too much. However, I don't think a minor iMac update would really upset the Powermac line.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
mad jew said:
Congrats on the 500 posts! :D

Have you got any info to back this up or are these guesses? I honestly can't see the business case for upgrading them now. Then again, hopefully I'll be proved wrong. :p

all guesses going on apple store wait times - i would of thought like many that the eMac would have an update before the iMac but no - mini is a dead cert upgrade and iMac is a hopeful guess but i think they will be canning the 4th gen and and replacing with the photo as a 5th gen iPod .

thanks by the way

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
andiwm2003 said:
why does everybody think there is some elaborate scheme to update products depending on three other different productlines?
can't they just update one line whenever the cpu's are available?

Sadly that's just the way it is... Apple, and every other business enterprise, can't keep doing what they're doing if they don't make a profit: even if the company cares more about the product than the profit.

An example of Apple doing something like this is the recent report from ThinkSecret that tells of Apple using 5gb hard drives in some of the current iPod minis, and crippling them down to 4gb to match the hard drives being used from other manufacturers. They do this for supply and marketting reasons, despite the fact that some owners would love to have access to that extra gigabyte.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
My guess on the updated iMacs:

Updated this week or next week at the latest
1.6->1.8GHz
1.8->2.0GHz
256MB->512MB
4x Superdrive->8x
FX5200->Radeon 9600
Bluetooth 2.0

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Chaszmyr said:
An example of Apple doing something like this is the recent report from ThinkSecret that tells of Apple using 5gb hard drives in some of the current iPod minis, and crippling them down to 4gb to match the hard drives being used from other manufacturers. They do this for supply and marketting reasons, despite the fact that some owners would love to have access to that extra gigabyte.

That doesn't sound right though. Couldn't Apple use that small amount of 5 gig hard drives untouched and just charge a slightly higher amount? Wouldn't that be more likely?

Otherwise, I agree with you about how Apple can't just go and upgrade their systems every time a new component comes out. They have to keep interest in ALL their product lines.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
mad jew said:
That doesn't sound right though. Couldn't Apple use that small amount of 5 gig hard drives untouched and just charge a slightly higher amount? Wouldn't that be more likely?

Perhaps, but it's not really that simple. There are then concerns about having to keep both models in stock, needing separate packaging, a revised product manual, etc etc etc. If there wasn't a reason, it wouldn't be that way, but if ThinkSecret says it is, then it is ;)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
The won't put a 2.0 G5 into the iMac before they update the PowerMac - I can guarantee they won't have a 2.0 in the iMac with a 1.8 in the bottom end of the PowerMac, but feel free to disagree. ;)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
iGary said:
The won't put a 2.0 G5 into the iMac before they update the PowerMac - I can guarantee they won't have a 2.0 in the iMac with a 1.8 in the bottom end of the PowerMac, but feel free to disagree. ;)

yep i disagree lol powermac will be getting upgrades when tiger and final cut 5 come out . emac should get upgrade in april i think

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Anyone think they will keep going on and on with the fx5200? Sure would like to see a 9600 ,9700. I bet its 128mb Fx5200 or a 6200 at 64mb or perhaps 128. Apple has gotten STINGY with its GPUs in everything but the powerbooks. Example my new Mini 1.42 struggles with Nanosaur2 while my Quicksilver 1.47 and Geforce3 make it shine. This is what im interested in, the 2.0 G5 bump is nice but the video is what needs help. I think they are concerned about putting everything on the motherboard hence bottom tier video as 9200,5200,7500,etc. Its easy and cheap, compact and low heat. I wonder if the Medium grade GPU's will ever make it into any Macs other then the Power series? iMac 2.0 G5 & (insert modern video) would make for 1 heck of a consumer computer.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Dont Hurt Me said:
...the 2.0 G5 bump is nice but the video is what needs help.

You hit the nail on the head! I can't see them putting a great card in their iMacs, but I would love to at least have the option! It seems weird for Apple to make a computer with such an obvious and distinct downfall - upgrade the GPU and suddenly the iMac becomes a MUCH MUCH better computer. :cool:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Its the push everyone towards the powermac philosophy they use. Its really the only thing (holding down) the consumer products. They use Lame video in everything with no option shuffling the consumer to the higher products. A common sales tactic while in the Pc world you order your machine to go from many many makers. First of all lets leave white as a option and make a few colors :) 2.0 or 2.2 G5 would make me smile :) 6600 video oohhh yeah baby or even a 9700 :) 160 Drive who needs more? :) 20"Lcd :) wireless all the way and 512Mb of modern ddr and Tiger. :) Who wants one? :D

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Dont Hurt Me said:
Its the push everyone towards the powermac philosophy they use. Its really the only thing (holding down) the consumer products. They use Lame video in everything with no option shuffling the consumer to the higher products. A common sales tactic while in the Pc world you order your machine to go from many many makers. First of all lets leave white as a option and make a few colors :) 2.0 or 2.2 G5 would make me smile :) 6600 video oohhh yeah baby or even a 9700 :) 160 Drive who needs more? :) 20"Lcd :) wireless all the way and 512Mb of modern ddr and Tiger. :) Who wants one? :D

yep i want it for £799 17" and £899 for the 20" with a free iPod Shuffle ! any questions ? lol

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I would hope by fall that the iMac would be updated with a better video card and a faster dvd-r drive. :rolleyes: I wonder if they are "not" going to update the eMac but push the mini for edu. classrooms. Some schools could use the crts that they have and feel that that in it self could be a money saving option. Just a thought ;)

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
iGary said:

Well, six month ago I would have agreed with you. But with the latest changes/additions to Apple's product line, I wouldn't rule out a 2 GHz iMac anymore. iMacs G5 have sold very well, throwing in a 2 GHz chip would help keep it that way. PMs will get some sort of update in the following weeks as well. Also, a dual 1.8 GHz PM will perform better than a 2 GHz iMac so, I don't see a problem there. (I know there' s also a single 1.8 GHz PM, but like I said, PM will be updated soon.)

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I think this week will be a big week for updates for two reasons. One, a number of product lines are due. Two, Apple's stock will begin to be traded at a split-adjusted price on Monday February 28th, one week from today. Apple will do all that it can do "wow" investors this week and create a frenzy on Monday at which point every unit increase in stock value is double what it was 2 weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.