New iMacs on Tuesday?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is hosting a Media Event on Tuesday, August 7th, 2007 for a Mac-focused announcement. There have been long running rumors about potential iMac updates. The Apple iMac was last updated 334 days ago in September 2006.

We've received word that price points for the new "Good", "Better", and "Ultra" iMac models will fall at $1199, $1499, and $1799 price points. No details beyond this are available, and it does not exclude the possibility of other configurations.

Of interest, this differs from the existing iMac lineup which currently holds a range of 17", 20" and 24" models which hit $999, $1199, $1499, and $1999 price points.

Rumors have previously pointed to the elimination of the low end 17" iMac model, which could correlate with these price points. Other reports have claimed that the new iMacs will see a striking new industrial design.

Since MacRumors was not invited to the Media Event, we will be unable to provide live updates, but we will point you to sites that can and provide running updates as well as the usual lively discussion. We will provide SMS updates for those away from a computer butn o spoiler free coverage will be provided as we are uncertain if a full video of the event will be posted.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68020

pknz

Oh, poor MacRumors, not invited to the party.:(

3. macrumors 68000

FJ218700

if true, I don't like the elevated price points. Hopefully a new mini to fill the gap?

4. macrumors 6502

fanbrain

This sounds like it will be quite a fun event. I'm in the market for a new Mac and iLife suite and I can't wait to see what comes tomorrow!

5. macrumors 603

aswitcher

It would be very nice if the new entry level 20" was $1199 USD.

Ultra model - sounds interesting. 2GB ram standard I guess.

6. macrumors 6502

mozmac

Bummer...I was hoping for "MacRumorsLive.com" coverage. Apple should have invited MacRumors. I always make it a point to click on links on MacRumors to Apple's site rather than typing in the URLs myself so that Apple will see how much traffic MacRumors brings them.

7. macrumors 65816

I'm crossing my fingers in hope that the Mac Mini is upgraded and not discontinued.

8. macrumors 6502a

when they say its all mac related does that mean they might still release iLife etc. ...??

9. macrumors 65816

WOW, guess apple doesn't want to get rid of the old reputation of being expensive.

Geesh.That's a lot of money, so much for the sub $999 market.

10. macrumors P6

Peace

So this means no macrumorslive tomorrow ?

11. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

'...one more thing, the G6 iMac." :eek:

12. macrumors newbie

I hope that the "ultra" will give me an opportunity to have at least 4 GB of ram, and 2 1 TB hard drives.

That is all I want ... for now.;)

13. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Ultra? How could they skip Super? What's after Ultra? Mega?

Super... Ultra... Mega!

Stupid name - what's wrong with Good, Better, Best?

I do like the price points if it is 20", 24", and 24" with two raid-0 hard-drives and lots and lots of RAM.

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

The iMac wasn't Apple's main low-end machine. That was the Mac Mini. Maybe that will continue.

And the iMacs are only "expensive" if they cost significantly more than an equivalent name-brand PC. But they don't, in fact, and the new ones aren't likely to either. In fact, the new ones are likely to be an even better deal than the old.

"Equivalent" is the key. A higher-level Mac does of course cost more than a lower-level PC, just like a higher-level Dell costs more than a lower-level HP. This page hasn't been updated in a while, but it makes the point that you need to look at ALL specs before you make the mistake of thinking that a stripped-down cheap Dell (or whatever) is identical to a fully-loaded Mac with software bundle:
    http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0926_dt1100.html

15. macrumors 603

aswitcher

Thats my thinking as well. They have created a bigger niche to put redesigned minis or headless iMacs ;)

16. macrumors 6502a

!¡ V ¡!

Here is hoping for a 20" (Good), 24" (Better) and, 24" (Ultra) screen size models.

Sounds like the 17" screen is canned. And it's highly unlikely that a 30" screen option will be released. However the option for a higher resolution 24" would be welcomed. :)

17. ATG
    macrumors regular

I'd buy it if it looked like a dell :p Just release it!!!

I hope they make a video available

18. macrumors 68020

What about neither? If it's not updated tomorrow, then it seems likely to be discountinued. But why would they pull it from stores right away?

19. macrumors regular

Glad to see some of the current prices sticking if this turns out to be true.

My two main hopes are that a SuperDrive and that one Firewire 800 port are standard. It's 2007! Not to mention that FW800 will be a god when it comes to Time Machine.

20. macrumors 68000

Antares

Major snub to MacRumors here..... :eek:

Well, I'm not in the market for a new compy yet. However, I'm actually really excited to see what's coming.

21. macrumors 6502a

!¡ V ¡!

HDD draws for easy expandability, limited as it may seem.

22. macrumors P6

Peace

If true the iMac's going to be a good deal because the current 24" is $1999

23. macrumors 68000

4God

How 'bout a 27"?

24. macrumors member

Complaints about Apple's prices being expensive stem from they always stay at late-early adopter market price. Compared to the earlier adopter market they are a bargain. But for the late adopters they are very expensive.

The late adopter's equilibrium price point is around $600 including the lot.

25. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

MacRumors should have been invited! Regardless, I have the feeling we'll get some surprises apart from the more obvious; dead Mini, new iMacs. I feel the the ultra-portable will be announce and the new keyboard will have some surprises regarding multi-touch.