Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I had to return a couple of iMacs due to dead pixels, and cosmetic dents but also noticed that the power button had a stiff action, like when you press and it doesn't click back, I didn't think this was a defect tho.

Then when I was at store I checked out the iMacs there and the power button on them worked really nice, it would soft click and bounce back.

Does anyone else notice or had this issue?

Cheers

gixxersixxer

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2013
I had to return a couple of iMacs due to dead pixels, and cosmetic dents but also noticed that the power button had a stiff action, like when you press and it doesn't click back, I didn't think this was a defect tho.

Then when I was at store I checked out the iMacs there and the power button on them worked really nice, it would soft click and bounce back.

Does anyone else notice or had this issue?

Cheers

My 2012 is more "clicky sticky" than my 2011, noticeably so.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Mine is the same!

It is the only thing I'm a bit concerned about on my 2nd replacement!
Hoping it doesn't give out. So putting it to sleep rather than shut it down as much as possible so I don't have to use it!

MasterLibrarian

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Mine has the same issue too...
Not to mention the clicking/popping sounds from the case...
By the way was yours a custom build ?

imac275

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
I have had two now and the power buttons were different on each. One had a very positive click and the other one felt like it had been used a lot more.

To be honest, if I can get an iMac with a good screen, no high pitched noise and little/no cosmetic damage, I will take any power button that works.

I do think one of the problems with returning kit is that you notice other minor problems on the replacement that wasn't there on the original!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Mine has a very strong, stiff click to it as well. I was a bit alarmed at first and the next time I went to the apple store I checked out the buttons on the machines there and they were just as the OP stated - less stiff. But having used my new machine now for close to three months and turning it off most nights, there is no problem at all.

My machine is perfect so unless the button stuffs up down the line I don't see it as a point of contention.

So I'd say it's totally fine and don't worry about the stiffness of the button. You'll get used to it.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
One of SJ's before passing influence. NO ****IN BUTTONS BIATCH. Unless, they don't click much :apple:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Mine has a very strong, stiff click to it as well. I was a bit alarmed at first and the next time I went to the apple store I checked out the buttons on the machines there and they were just as the OP stated - less stiff. But having used my new machine now for close to three months and turning it off most nights, there is no problem at all.

My machine is perfect so unless the button stuffs up down the line I don't see it as a point of contention.

So I'd say it's totally fine and don't worry about the stiffness of the button. You'll get used to it.
You don't want it loose, mine is the same. It's nice and hard giving a solid click a la the new iPhone 5 home button in comparison to say a 3GS where they feel wobbly and weak.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
As bonkers as it sounds, some 2012 iMacs do have some slightly funky power buttons. My first unit had a very satisfying click. The one I have now occasionally "catches," so it feels more like it clicks twice. Not really bothersome, - but I did notice it the rare occasion I shut the system down.

And no, I wouldn't exchange iMacs over a slightly "interesting" power button. :D

Blue604

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
As bonkers as it sounds, some 2012 iMacs do have some slightly funky power buttons. My first unit had a very satisfying click. The one I have now occasionally "catches," so it feels more like it clicks twice. Not really bothersome, - but I did notice it the rare occasion I shut the system down.

And no, I wouldn't exchange iMacs over a slightly "interesting" power button. :D

Just curious how many iMac did u have dead pixel issues? I just ordered mine and waiting.

marksmck

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
Mine has the same issue too...
Not to mention the clicking/popping sounds from the case...
By the way was yours a custom build ?

I have a custom build 27"(32G Ram and SSD drive). Took a few times to get it going... and wondered if the fiddling with it had stuffed it up! Although looking at the number of complaints here its probably not the cause. Looks like its not only this new model that suffers too. Other forums go all the way back to G4!

papschmoops

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
Imac Power Switch Issues

I had a problem with a 2011 27in imac. The previous owner had pushed on it too hard too many times and it had slipped. It would not center in the opening. I set it to automatically come on after a power failure and that usually worked. However, as I found out, it was shorting out and would cause the Imac to turn off on its own. It would always just come back on. Their was no crash report and nothing significant in the console. It would randomly turn itself off from time to time.

After hours and hours of trouble shooting I took it in to my Mac Repair center and they opened it up and simply took the switch cover off. That was the problem, not the switch. It is further in. If I have to use the switch I can just reach inside the hole where the cover was. Unfortunately the switch cover is glued to the back of the case and there is no way of replacing without taking everything out and replacing the back of the case. I don't mind the small hole in the back because the random reboots have stopped!

This was a pretty cheap fix. My Mac Repair Shop (not Apple) did it under their $30 diagnostic fee. Someone should make an aftermarket switch cover that could be attached from the outside that would still allow the switch to be depressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.