New iMacs tomorrow...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by invaLPsion, Jun 27, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The new iMacs are almost a 100% certainty to be released tomorrow. While some iMacs were still available yesterday, Clubmac and Macmall are now completely out of stock of all iMacs... the day before WWDC. :)

My bet is a 1.6 or 1.8 G5 in the top of the line, with little change in the look of the machine itself. The iMacs with a G5 may have a silverish tint/aluminum body. The 1.25GHz and 1.5GHz g4 may still be used in the bottom machines.

Here's to iMacs tomorrow... :D

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Not to fuel the speculation but the 17" and 20" iMacs also disappeared from the refurb Apple store at the exact same time.

I'm hopeful for an iMac update.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I hope so. I want my parents to switch and the current iMac aint worth buying...

4. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

You couldn't buy them if you wanted to, they're ALL GONE! :D

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I hope so. My credit card is ready to go. Please please please have new iMacs tomorrow. However, am I the only one that worries that hardware releases will be limited since the broadcast options seem not to exist?

6. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

i am going to tell my parents to get a new imac all though they are going to wait acouple months. i dont need to convince them... their ****ty hp already has! they will take my word for it anyway.

7. rastafari macrumors newbie

rastafari

an imac G5 is just the kind of machine i've been holding out for. imacs seem to be more of a middle machine now because of the lcd and the existence of the emac.

8. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Hey the eMac is still a sweet deal lets not forget. Do your parents need a G5 imac or would a 1.25 eMac (that is roughly half the price) be plenty?

As for the prediction on the announcement there better be a G5 iMac invaLPsion is on the right track but I can't see apple splitting the line i.e. low end has a G4 and high end has a G5. I predict a new body styling and bigger monitors! The configurations being:

17-inch : single 1.6GHz (full screen not wide screen)
    Better video card - 64Mb
    256 Mb RAM
    80 GB HD
    Combo Drive

20-inch : single 1.8GHz (Wide Screen)
    Better video card - 64Mb (128 Mb BTO)
    80 GB HD
    Superdrive

15" model dropped. Of course the other options will still be available.

Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If your going to keep a machine for 5-7 years then a G5 is the only way to go. Sure an eMac might cut it now but a larger LCD is so much sweater to look at and an iMac so much easier to move around, that its worth the extra. I just hope that they really do put out a proconsumer machine and not one artifically limited by minimal ram slots, low end graphics card, HDD size etc.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Could 2004 be the Year of the Mini?

iPod Mini, and now Mini Mac. I keep thinking of the pictures of a mini-tower and loving where it could go! I think the world may finally be ready for the Apple PowerCube!

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....hmmm....I suspect it will not be tomorrow. A developer conference, no webcast or live feed...hardly seems like the circumstances for Apple to unveil a new "flagship" *consumer* model...oh yeah!

12. ddtlm macrumors 65816

If they go G5 I'm betting they'll be no faster than 1.6ghz. There isn't much reason for Apple to move quickly all at once... they'll just be looking silly latter if they max out feasible G5's before the next chip is ready. PowerMac-like cooling isn't very feasilble for an iMac.

13. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Duff-Man:

Well they could roll out a new G4 model without fanfare. Yay.

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...they could, sure...but if it is just a speed-bump that would not likely be done at WWDC either, but probably quietly later on without fanfare, like next tuesday or something....oh yeah!

15. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

You know, I think thats a pissibility. A last G4 gasp for the iMac as they tweak it out (BT, WiFi, 512MB ram, 128 VRAM etc) but keep the G4 at the same price point or lower...

I agree, would be a big disappointment if that happened.

16. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I don't think the fact that it is a developer conference has anything to do with what Apple releases. Sure, a new version of MacOSX is almost essential, but it's not all about the developers, it's about the fact that the press is watching to see what happens. Apple could release anything...

Like iSight, or a new computer (the G5). Those two things are not software or have much to do with developers, they are products that were both released at WWDC last year.

One thing is for certain, iMacs will be released tomorrow or the week after. Apple cannot afford to lose revenue because they don't have any iMacs to sell...

17. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Looks good, but the top of the line would likely have 512ram and a 160 gig HD. In addition, the 128vram graphics would be standard, as the graphics card is soldered onto the motherboard, BTOing the graphics is impossible.

18. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I don't think so... AppleInsider has been reporting that iMac G5s have been being prototyped since February.

19. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Ahh, I see about the graphics thing, but then how can you BTO the powerbook vram?

Anyway the 512 Ram and 160 GB hard drive are standard in the mid and high end powermac G5 and something tells me apple will not be making the high end imac better than the low end powermac. Well I guess thats just my $0.02

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think PBG5 prototype shells have probably been around since then as well...

21. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I do not doubt that new iMacs are coming soon, I just don't think it will be tomorrow - as said i think as it is a consumer computer they would more likely do a special "Apple Event" to really show it off on its own...but I would love to be wrong - it would make things a bit more exciting tomorrow that is for sure....oh yeah!

22. StarmanDeluxe macrumors member

If this thing's hangable, I'm thinking 20 and 23 inch models, with no 17-inch. That'd be really hard to see.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

To bolster the possibility of mew iMac machines tomorrow. Don't really think they new a live feed. They didn't have a large news conference when they introduced the new G5 line either.

24. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

The iMac situaion does seem a little strange right now, if it was just going to be a speed bump, surely it should have come around the time of the eMac, iBook and PowerBook updates. Additionally it seems to be in short supply pretty much everywhere. Surely they would want to launch the G5 iMac at a major event however can the current iMac really hang on till Paris in September? and if so why are stocks currently so low? was the G5 iMac supposed to be ready for WWDC but didn't make it so they have a temporary shortage while they crank out a few more G4s, surely they would be better at stocxk management than that.

It seems like the iMac G5 is coming but when. I hope its tomorrow, something to get excited about :)

25. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Here's hoping.