New iMacs will come standard with....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rsamo, Feb 25, 2005.

1. rsamo macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    Anybody have any ideas on what revisions/changes will be made to the next revisions of iMacs that will hopefully come out within the next few months.
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    apple needs to bone up and ship them all with 512MB RAM standard
  3. gallivant macrumors member

Dec 14, 2004
    I strongly suspect that most updates from here on out will have 512 as standard - PMs for sure, iMacs I'd be willing to bet, iBooks and Minis no way. eMac, if it sticks around, will probably get stuck with 256 for a while too.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    hopefully they will get a ram bump and a videocard bump, but who knows what else will happen
  5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    It's really tough to guess with the iMac, as it all depends on when they ship the updates. If it's next week, I suspect that we will see some small changes, such as faster CPU's (1.8ghz and 2ghz maybe?), more VRAM (same GPU, 128mb), 512mb RAM standard and support for 2gb DIMMs maybe, and perhaps the HDD will be tiered 80, 160, 200gbs for each model.

On the other hand, if there isn't an update for a few months, say when Tiger comes out, I would think that there will be lots of add-ons. Bigger HDDs, faster CPUs, a new GPU, dual layer superdrives, a 23" model, etc.

All in all, I hope they come up with a way to quiet mine down before they release a new one!

EDIT: Oh, I suspect that the next release whenever it comes will have standard APE and BT.
  6. ncoffey macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2005
    You heard it here first.

Standard 100-240V power supplies in every iMac G5 rev B.

I wish they'd have a seperate brick like they do with the Mac Mini because it would offload some heat issues and the brick wouldn't particularly bother me. Dunno how many other people would go for that though.
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Why not? i would rather have a brick then a top heavy display. I dont mind the brick on the mini and by removing that heatsource from imac maybe it would be cool enough and roomy enough for a 6600 or better class video.
  8. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    The main things I would like are 512 MB RAM standard, airport, and bluetooth, and then a slightly faster processor. I would like the video card to be updated as well. Hopefully I'm not expecting to much.

Why is yours making noise. I thought that was one of the big advertisements having such a quiet computer?
  9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    There have been a lot of complaints about iMac G5s being noisy. There are two noises, one is distinctly a fan noise when you start to work the machine at all, playing a game or transcoding video in iDVD for example. This is very loud. The other is a quiet whining noise that is most likely a power transformer in the display lighting system.

Apple acknowledges both of these issues, and says they have no fix. They refuse to do just about anything about it at this point. I suppose that at idle is probably "whisper quiet" as advertised, but get doing much of anything at it is as loud as any cheap PC, only a much more annoying pitch and right on your desktop, 2 feet in front of your face.

My return date in this Wednesday and I am trying to decide if I am going to keep this machine or not. If I don't I definitely will not being paying any restocking fee!

10. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    When did you buy it?
  11. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    My goodness I didn't realize it was that bad. Do all users have the exact same problem? Maybe I need to wait a read up on the next revision to see how everyone likes it, before I jump in a buy a new one.
  12. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    The powersupply noise is fixable under warranty. (Easily diagnosable if the sound increases/decreases with screen brightness F14/F15).

The CPU cooling noise is problematic if CPU setting is set to "High". Therefore I never set it to High, except with some games or computational tasks.

To me, the sound level is managaeable for most tasks when set to "Automatic", but if has gone loud from activity it can take a while to quiet down, so in those cases I go to "Reduced" CPU.

That said, I'm happy with the iMac G5, compared to the option of spending a similar amount of money on a G4 (small PB or large iB). No way would I be happy with a G4 as a new purchase in 2005 or late 2004. No wonder PB sales numbers are slipping.

new standard equipment on iMac G5s?
    I suspect the RAM will still be 256, unfortunately it's just a cost marketing thing.

My hope is USB 2.0 and gigabit ethernet.

My extended hopes are standard wireless (BT & 802.11), and hard drives >250G, and graphics better than FX5200.
  13. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are never going to see standard AE on an iMac. Bluetooth, maybe in a few years, but probably not in the near future. It might be more prudent to wish for a gig of ram standard, as it is probably more likely.

It is in Apples best interest to keep the price of the iMacs as low as possible, people need bigger hds, faster procs, more ram, but MOST people don't NEED AE. On laptops yea, wireless networking is a must have, but not on desktops. And if you are one of the few that NEED a wireless desktop than you can always add that your self.

The only reason to make AE standard on the iMac line would be if their was nothing else they could add to freshen it up, a la Power/iBooks. But from where I sit, it looks like their are plenty of faster G5's and PLENTY of faster gpu's available to freshen up the line with out getting too desperate.
  14. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2004
    Near London
    I know there have been a lot of complaints but there always will be with a rev A product and any product in general, especially computers. They probably have sold about 300000 imacs and i guess about 1% of them have problems that got through quality control.
    My imac on the other hand has had a few problems but that was with the Airport Extreme - i hardly hear the fan unless i am running quite a few programs and running the imac at 100%. Even then it is hardly noticeable. Now and again i get a slight buz but i can only hear that if i really listen to it.
    Also probs no updates till Expo 2005 i reckon, just a thought and looking at Apple's product refresh times
  15. arklab macrumors member

Feb 26, 2005
    As a not-quite-owner-yet I find this thread very helpfull.
    We are planning on getting an Imac 17, but I wonder if the noise spoken of is encountered more in 17 or 20 in. models?

To try to stay on topic, though ...
    As a new customer I can vouch that the lack of standard bluetooth is the ONE reason we have not yet placed an order.
    If included in the order the machine is "CUSTOM", and can't be returned even if the box is unopened.
    Until we recieve the machine we will have no idea what type "superdrive" is included.
    If the current "superdrive" doesn't have at least 2.4X +R dual-layer burn ability, it is junk (by todays standards ... to 8X +R and 6X -R DL) and will have to be replaced.

Sigh ... I'm SO glad to see Steve back in charge.

In short standard bluetooth should benifit both Apple and customers, and save money for both.
  16. umgolfer macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2004
    It is a 4x DVD-R drive. I have used it and it works fine. I also have a 20" and it does not make any noise whatsoever. Maybe the problem was more related to the first run of the units or something, but mine is great (purchased last week). You can check the exact stats of every aspect of the imac here: Enjoy!
  17. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    USB 2.0? They already have USB 2.0 ports! In fact, the last G4 revision already came with the faster USB bus.

On the main topic, I hope Apple will throw in 512 MB of RAM. These days, it's not a luxury anymore and will only slightly decrease margins. A faster GPU would be nice, but since the 12" PB is still stuck with the GeForce 5200 (as is the entry level PM), I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Also don't expect more VRAM.
  18. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House

I have 768 in mine, and it really needs a gig, minimum, IMO, judging by the activity monitor.

Normal, Mail, Safari (a hog), iCal open and only 100MB free.....

Apple needs to ship all of their computers with 512MB.
  19. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    Yes, most DVD burners are dual-layer. However, have you seen the price of dual-layer media? It's insane!

How is Apple making me pay for something I don't want good for me?!

Just because YOU want something doesn't mean it should come standard.
  20. arklab macrumors member

Feb 26, 2005
    4X DVD-R only is laughable in todays world, but as I understand it is only the minimum; your drive is probably much better.

You could do me a big favor, if you would. Although I don't know how myself, I'm sure there is some way of using the OSX or BIOS to disclose the exact model number of the DVD drive installed in your computer. Although not a guarantee, it is likley all imac's are shipping with the same (or similar) drive.
    Fun to know, too! (Mac owners are allowed to have fun, aren't they?)

21. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    New iMacs will come standard with your choice of

a. mr. coffee usb 2.0 attachment
    b. a bobblehead steve doll
    c. atkins diet planner
    d. coupon $50 off your purchase of $5000 from an apple store
    e. old out of business apple reseller t-shirt
  22. arklab macrumors member

Feb 26, 2005
    Well, there IS the "education" configuration that comes with no optical drive at all ... OOPS, sorry - Apple won't sell that to you.

But they could strip out ether the USB or Firewire ports. Heck, they do the same things, don't they?
    And a 9" screen would save a lot more (and some business don't want color ether).
    And do you really need all 80 Gigs of HD?

The point I would make here (other than that I seem a bit abrasive this morning - sorry) is that a "all in one" computer like the Imac needs as much standard as possible.
    Those who would buy one WANT a neat, uncluttered desktop without even keyboard/mouse wires.
    Otherwise grab a mini and save.
  23. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    Yes Mr. Coffee and the Steve Bobblehead doll, I'll be in heaven even without the extra Ram, better video card, etc.
  24. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    First one: No, ever try to use a printer with firewire? Spend $400-500 then yes. Also see last.
    Second: try to do some video, say some family or whatever you like and you will wish you had HUGE space.
    Last: if you want BT save some money and get a D-Link unit and put it in the back "usb 2.0" port and your good to go :rolleyes:
    The last one you lost me on since we are talking about the iMac and not an iPod as far as the color goes? I do understand about the saving space, well maybe :confused:
  25. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003

According to macintouch, and alot of other benchmarks, there is meant to be a problem with the system controller in the current imac. Disk operations arent as fast as they should be, also USB 2.0 isnt meant to work too well.

Hope they sort that out first.

I think just alot of usual Rev B refinements would make the imac a much better refined machine.